About me

I became Rector (now Vice-Chancellor) of University of the Arts London on 1 September 2008 when universities had been growing steadily for some years. The implosion of many of the world’s largest banks within a few months of my arrival and the consequent recession across most Western economies left UK universities operating in a radically altered environment, and our University has undergone a very rapid process of change in order to ensure that we are in a position to face the changed future with confidence.

As I have said before, I believe the changes we have made across the University in response to the changing environment have given us much stronger foundations on which to build in the new funding environment. There will inevitably be both changes and opportunities ahead to which we will need to continue to respond in a measured but timely way.

The purpose of this blog is for me to communicate with staff about issues as they arise, and also to give you the opportunity to give me your feedback so that we can develop an online dialogue. All comments are welcome, and if there are any issues you would like me to address, please let me know.