Spotlight on… Jakki Rossiter, Events Coordinator

Tell us about your role at UAL Awarding Body and what it involves.

As the Events Coordinator I manage the planning, coordination, delivery and evaluation of the annual cycle of UAL Awarding Body; conferences, arts festivals, performance events, exhibitions, delivery and training events. It is a very diverse role with lots of exciting projects happening throughout the year.

How long have you worked at UAL Awarding Body and what was your previous role?

I have worked at the Awarding Body for 3 years. Prior to that, I worked at a private country club designing and managing special events for various clients, thanks to this position I know the wedding industry like the back of my hand (which comes in handy when you are planning your own!)

What is your proudest moment at UAL Awarding Body?

When we successfully held the first UAL Awarding Body Creative Arts Festival, it was a cross collaboration event and showcased the depth and breadth of student work from all levels. On display were a range of paintings, drawings, sculptures, videos and fashion work, complemented by a programme of music and performing arts. In particular the private view opening event was brilliant, it’s so rewarding to see how excited and proud the students are to have the opportunity to be involved in this marvellous event!

What is your favourite thing about working for UAL Awarding Body?

I really enjoy the variety of my role; no two days are the same in the events department. One day I can be venue searching around London for a quirky exhibition venue and the next I can be half way up the country at a college planning a standardisation event agenda.

If you were stuck on an island what three things would you bring?

My fiancé, my bunny and an endless supply of Mexican food.

If given a chance, who would you like to be for a day?

Sir David Attenborough, first, he has seen some of the most beautiful places on the planet. Second, I would just talk to myself all day because I love the sound of his voice!

What would it surprise people to know about you?

I grew up in the world of theatre and have performed in over forty musicals and plays on stage. I was the child at school whose appearance changed every few months depending on what show I was in, I will never forget having to use temporary black hair dye whilst performing in The King and I, I was glad when that show was over!

What is your favourite place in the world?

Maasia Mara National Reserve in Kenya, truly the most amazing place I’ve ever been! Nothing like waking up in the morning and walking out your lodge to be greeted by a wild elephant family standing metres away from you.