Spotlight on… Marc Mollica, Chief Examiner for Performing and Production Arts

Tell us about your role at UAL Awarding Body and what it involves.

I am the Chief Examiner for Performing and Production Arts and operate within the academic standards team here at UAL Awarding Body. My role primarily revolves around offering academic support for our centres and providing guidance on delivery and assessment. I work very closely with our quality and operations team during the moderation cycle and head-up a team of Senior and External Moderators. I also collaborate with our qualifications team in designing and developing a range of performing and production arts qualifications.

How long have you worked at UAL Awarding Body and what was your previous role?

I joined UAL Awarding Body three years ago, when the performing and production arts qualifications were first released. Prior to that, I managed a performing and productions arts dept. in a large FE / HE College and prior to that I worked within industry as a theatre director. I still manage to direct the odd theatre project here and there.

What is your proudest moment at UAL Awarding Body?

When I first joined the Awarding Body, we had 28 centres and 1500 students registered on performing and production arts qualifications; on the last count, we had over 100 centres and 6000 registrations – and this figure is constantly rising! Being part of a team that has seen such a meteoric rise and take-up of our qualifications has been very satisfying and it’s highly rewarding knowing that we are making a positive difference to creative arts education on a national and international scale.

What is your favourite thing about working for UAL Awarding Body?

The people – both internal and external. I work alongside an amazingly talented team who all have very big hearts and are passionate about arts education. I am also lucky that my role brings me into frequent contact with teaching teams from across the country who continually tell me that UAL qualifications are the best thing to have ever happened to their courses and a holistic, project-based approach really challenges and stretches their students.

If you were stuck on an island what three things would you bring?

Fishing boat, solar powered record-player and my complete David Bowie vinyl back-collection.

If given a chance, who would you like to be for a day?

My wife – it would be marvellous to experience the feeling of being in charge, even if it is for just the one day!

What is something about you that would surprise most people?

I used to be a nifty football player back in the day.

What is your favourite place in the world?

New York City – no other place like it!