Spotlight on… Lucy Dang, Projects Officer

Tell us about your role at UAL Awarding Body and what it involves.

I’m a Projects Officer within the Qualifications Development team. In a nutshell, my role involves developing, reviewing and designing a range of qualifications to support education in the visual arts, performing arts, design, media, music and fashion. I ensure that projects are properly planned, managed efficiently and delivered on time and to budget.

How long have you worked at UAL Awarding Body and what was your previous role?

I joined UAL Awarding Body in January 2017. Prior to that, I worked for an academic publishing company in the Editorial Books and Editorial Journals department. My main responsibilities included project managing book publications, author and editor relationship management, and developing pedagogical tools for students and lecturers.

What is your proudest moment at UAL Awarding Body?

My proudest moment was when we received the news from the Department for Education that the Level 3 Diploma and Extended Diploma in Art and Design had been approved for inclusion in Performance Tables. A lot of hard work had gone into developing the qualifications and it was a real team effort from everyone involved. Smiles all round in the office!

What is your favourite thing about working for UAL Awarding Body?

I love going on centre visits and seeing student work in action. It’s gratifying to see our qualifications come to fruition, and seeing all the different creative outcomes.

If you were stuck on an island what three things would you bring?

I would bring a copy of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, a camera and Bear Grylls.

If given a chance, who would you like to be for a day?

I would love to be Yayoi Kusama for a day. She’s one of my favourite artists, and I would love to learn how to express myself as creatively as she does through her work.

What is something about you that would surprise most people?

I used to compete in Karate national championships and achieved a black belt at the age of 12.

What is your favourite place in the world?

Edinburgh is my favourite place. I lived there for four glorious years as a student and made many happy memories. It’s a beautiful city, and I always go back every summer during the Festival Fringe for a reunion with my friends.