This month, the UAL Postgraduate Community programme has recruited seven Postgraduate Community Ambassadors for the Autumn Term, one for every college and this year for the first time a representative from the PhD student community.

The postgraduate students will be helping to spread the word about the great opportunities available to MA and PhD students at UAL, helping to deliver and plan postgraduate student events and act as ambassadors and point of contact for the PG Community at each college.

Meet the Postgraduate Community Autumn Term Ambassadors:

Zinta Jaunitis, Ambassador for Camberwell College of Arts

I’m currently in my first year studying MA Illustration at Camberwell. I’m originally from Australia but have lived in this great city for over 13 years. Like the 18th century English writer Samuel Johnson I never tire of London. Before becoming a full-time student, I worked in the museum and heritage sector where I worked as a Learning Producer putting on events in the some of the greatest palaces ever built.

I am passionate about visual culture, both in its practice and theory. My practice is rooted in research, observation and drawing, and is shaped by the human experience.

I’m keen that the Postgraduate Community is meaningfully connected with all the resources and events the university has to offer, as well as connecting with what London has to offer.

Elsa Fridman, Ambassador for Central Saint Martins

I’m a French-American student in Applied Imagination in the Creative Industries at CSM where I’m researching how storytelling can create more participatory and collaborative forms of engagement in public spaces. I’m so excited to be the Central Saint Martins Postgraduate Ambassador! I’m really looking forward to getting to know more of the postgrads and creating opportunities for serendipitous social and creative encounters both within and beyond CSM.

Please say hi if you see me around college or write me an email with any ideas on how we can make the postgraduate community experience even better.

Nell Lyhne, Ambassador for Chelsea College of Arts

I am currently doing an MA in Fine Art at Chelsea. Before that I was an architect, training at The Architectural Association.

I am passionate about connecting students, both present and past post-grads. We all need each other!

Tracy Gordon, Ambassador for London College of Communication

My name is Tracy Gordon. I am a graduate student of UAL specialising in Service, Experience and Design Inmovation at London College of Communication. I have a strong interest in delivering positive impacts in the Postgraduate Community. I am inspired by the creative community at UAL and I look forward to learning and sharing from everyone who is part of this amazing community.

Maryssa Cook-Obregón, Ambassador for London College of Fashion*

Hello, as an American student who recently arrived in London to commence the MA Fashion Futures course at London College of Fashion, the role of a Postgraduate Community Ambassador resonates with my desire to learn from and engage with the greater UAL community as well as ensure that the Postgraduate Community is properly and meaningfully connected with all the resources and events the university has to offer.

Many postgraduate students at UAL come from abroad, like me, and some of these students may have not been part of an academic setting for some years. As such, it is essential that the postgraduate students have a program like the Postgraduate Community so that they have a support system in place for them that will allow them to thoroughly understand and enjoy the postgraduate experience that is being offered.

Bettina John, Ambassador for Wimbledon College of Arts

I’m Bettina John and I’m studying on the MA Theatre Design at Wimbledon College of Art. Up until now I’ve been working as a costume designer for dance, musical theatre and opera in London and Germany where I’m originally from. I also produce work as an installation and performance artist and have exhibited my work internationally, which informs my practice as a designer for theatre greatly. 

I’m so excited to be part of UAL’s Postgraduate Community and I want to help spread the word about it. London is such an amazing city and studying here is probably one of the most thrilling things one can do in their life. This community is a chance to tap into an incredibly diverse pool of talents, probably more diverse than anywhere else and I can’t wait to be part of it. 

Christina Skarpari, Ambassador for the PhD Student Community

Hey everyone!…. My name is Christina Skarpari and I am a research degree student in my first year at CSM. My PhD proposal aims to contribute in the field of socially responsive design and design led social innovation. Through the research, I am exploring the capacity that design has to raise awareness and facilitate the preservation of endangered crafts, as elements of intangible cultural heritage. Outside of university, I have been initiating and working within interdisciplinary, bottom up youth and intergenerational projects for over five years. I art direct and organize events that aim to build communal identities, community cohesion and economic and cultural resilience through creative practice. I am very much interested in participatory and co-design practices in the context of public design projects, aiming to effect change.

I am really excited to be joining this diverse and dynamic team, and look forward to sharing with you!

• We have also recruited an Ambassador for London College of Fashion to start in the Spring Term at the recent round of interviews.  Her name is Ekene Okobi and we will share with you her introduction at the start of the Spring Term.

More about Postgraduate Community:

Outside Colleges, tutor groups, lecture theatres and studios, UAL’s postgraduate students are tapping into a growing number of UAL-wide opportunities and benefits thanks to the UAL Postgraduate Community.

This initiative aims to build a diverse programme of cross-disciplinary cross-college masterclasses, reading groups, online lectures and events designed exclusively for our postgraduate taught and research student body.