by Noemi Gunea, MA Performance Design and Practice,
at Central Saint Martins

‘Picture this’ performance – Inspired by pop art, Noemi Gunea and Grace Lambert explore the effects of advertising and consumer culture with performers that embody the artworks in the exhibition.

Arts Student Union provides some of the most exciting opportunities in UAL, connecting students to high profile institutions such as the Royal Academy of Arts and the British Museum.

On the 9th of June UAL hosted an evening at the British Museum, responding to their American Dream exhibition through workshops, performances and activities.

Read some testimonies from postgraduate artists who showcased their work at this event here, and keep an eye on the Arts SU website for future opportunities!

Magda Kuca – MA Fashion Photography at London College of Fashion:

Magda Kuca presented ‘American Dream cyanotype/blue print workshop studio’ participants could print theirown cyanotype, based on the theme
of the American Dream. Inspired by the art of Robert Rauschenburg and Andy Warhol.

‘It was an amazing experience  to do the workshop in collaboration with British Museum it allowed me to reach a wider audience and collaboration with such institution will be surely important step for my future career as both artist and workshop leader. For a moment we tried to resurrect the ghosts of American Print-Makers through historical photo-printing process of cyanotype, I felt like everyone really had a really good fun but it was also an important learning experience on history of photography and print. Overall it was a great experience which I wish to continue further after I graduate.’

Visit Magda’s website www.kucamagda.com

Marco Bertuzzo – MA Fine Art at Central Saint Martins:

‘American Dreamboard’ by Marco Bertuzzo and Tingwei Liang – an interactive installation inspired by aspirational post-war America.

‘I first came across the opportunity to exhibit at the British Museum late one night as I was going through my emails. The opportunity seemed so good that I couldn’t believe it! Not only was it fantastic that the British Museum was looking to work with young artists, but I thought it was fantastic that such a large institution was open to hosting such dynamic conversations. I read through the call and, originally, thought that my practice wouldn’t suit the opportunity. However, as I started to really mull over the exhibition, and all the political and social concepts that surrounded American pop art the idea for my “American Dreamboard” popped into my head. The next morning I drafted out my submission and sent it off. When I heard I had been selected I could hardly believe it!

Working with the British Museum and UAL was a professional dream. They gave me full creative control over my piece, were very open to any dialogue that I wanted to approach them with and I really got the sense that everybody believed in what they were doing and believed in the power of the arts, and young artists.  I couldn’t recommend the opportunity highly enough to anyone and I personally hope that more institutions, big and small, start to work with artists in such an exemplary way.’

Visit Marco’s website http://marcobertuzzo.com/

Nia Hefe Filiogianni – MA Communication Design at Central Saint Martins:

Nia Hefe Filiogianni’s ‘Feminist sign making’ – An interactive workshop inspired by the feminist movement and by protest marches of the 1960s.

‘Submitting my proposal for the British Museum Lates event “The American Dream”, I found my practice to fully match the event’s theme. The Brief was really open and inspiring, leaving every artist to interpret it in their own way. Being a visual artist often doing feminist illustrations, with a passion in femininity and the female experience i could find many reasons to submit a proposal. Based on the history of the American dream, I proposed to create an interactive feminist placard making workshop in which visitors will have the opportunity to make their own feminist placards. This workshop was inspired by my latest personal project which is based on the history of the female body. Making illustrations that represent horrific historic events about women’s bodies I attempted to incorporate my illustrations in order to make the feminist placards for the event. I laser cut and screen printed 400 placards that visitors could write their own message on, reflecting the feminist movement of the 50’s. Using colourful markers visitors could personalise their placard and make their voice by heard. The inspiration behind this workshop was the fact that most of the issues addressed on the 50’s feminist movement, still need to be told. The workshop was an absolute success and went beyond my expectations. Visitors empathised with the theme and enjoyed the process. It was an absolute pleasure to collaborate with the amazing UAL team as well as the team of the British Museum.’

Visit Nia’s website www.niahefe.com

Grace Lambert & Noemi Gunea  – MA Performance Design and Practice at Central Saint Martins:

‘This was the second time the Arts SU provided us with a platform to showcase our work; in December we won a brief to create a performance project for the Royal Academy Lates.

Our idea for this event was an interactive performance where the audience could choose between 3 american artists whose works were exhibited in ‘American Dream’: Liechtenstein, Andy Warhol and Rauschenberg. They would then see a 3 minute live art piece responding to that particular artist, and in general to themes of consumerism, objectification and irony.  It was incredible how many people stopped to watch our performance, and an honor to show our work at the British Museum.’

Visit Noemi’s website www.noemigunea.co.uk

Related Links: