The student app MyUAL was launched in September 2015. Analytics show that 99% of its usage is on mobile phones of which 92% are Apple iphone users.
The features currently available in the app include:
- Locate Buildings and Services
- Check your timetable
- View your print credit
- Access to Moodle (VLE website)
- Explore Library Services
- Check the travel status
- Receive alerts and announcements
The MyUAL project is now part of the Online Estate Services Programme.
The aim of the app is to improve the student experience by enabling seamless access to vital information and services, all in one location.
So far we have:
- Assessed the usage of the app and its current features – carrying out one-to-one user tests with students who had not previously used it
- Gathered user feedback in order to prioritise new developments and the look and feel – both from student focus groups and written feedback submitted
- Produced a priority list of enhancements and new features to be released
Our user testing found:
- The MyUAL app content and functionality is highly valued by users
- The unique and easy to access content is preferred over other content
- Personalised content specific to the student was rated well
- Students want an improved experience of library and news sections
- Removal of additional login steps is desired
Students shared with us that they want to use the app to gain access to information quickly and when on the go (mobile). They also highlighted that the MyArts intranet is an essential channel for finding more detailed information when working on desktops/laptops.
The work continues …
Next we will be:
- Holding meetings with teams based on the priorities of what students said they want to see
- Carrying out further development work to existing features in the app
- Visiting other universities who are also using this software to see what resources they make available to manage and develop their app(s)