Since graduating from the BA (Hons) Design for Graphic Communication (DGC) in July 2011, most students are finding great success in securing employment.
Joe Hughes, one of the graduates, has relocated to Rotterdam in the Netherlands where he is working with various agencies and designers such as Mwah, 75B and assisting the artist Helmut Smits. Hughes says: “I moved to Rotterdam due to two internships and also because I needed a change from the pace of life in London and R’dam is more gezellig (cosy). I plan to stay at least for the international film festival 2012”. Examples of his work can be found on his Flickr account.
Another graduate, Obie Campbell, is currently teaching at LCC as an Associate Lecturer on the Foundation & BA DGC course. Campbell says: “For my final year project I directed my studies towards exploring how design can inspire young people in Secondary Schools. Darren Raven (Course Director) provided me with great advice and inspiration for this project. He also kindly offered the job being an Associate Lecturer on the course. It’s great to have the course lecturer’s support and I can always ask for advice about teaching. Inspiring young people and offering them guidance is a great motivator.” More information about Obie’s work and inspiration can be found on her website.
Here are some other students from DGC who successfully found employment:
* Adam Burges spent three months on an internship at the Tate Modern design studio and has now secured a full time Junior Designer position at KBA Marketing.
* Sze Sheng Chan has returned to Malaysia and is working freelance for a fashion menswear company called Stud and has recently been offered a full time position as a graphic designer for JWT.
* Isabella Fernades working as a part time visual merchandiser for Urbanears, Marshall and Coloud headphones, and also as a freelance graphic designer at Splash Printing.
* Rob Francis is working self employed as a film maker, animator and as a graphic designer. Recent jobs include an animation for Gallo Wine and music videos for NY based music producers Filo & Peri for trance record label Garuda.
* Ella Mackinnon is working at the Architects Journal as a magazine designer helping them on a designing a whole new product, which will take the magazine from being a weekly British magazine, to a global one, by making a new digital magazine and an app.
* Marta Puchala has undertaken an internship at Blast where she worked on the Colourful Life exhibition for Arjowiggins Creative Papers with illustrator Ian Wright and is now completing a placement at, DGC course industry partner, icodesign.
* Richard Radam has been undertaking a series of internships since graduating before spending some time travelling. He’s currently finishing a placement up at Big Fish.
* Julie Trinh is working as an in-house graphic designer for online fashion label Wish Want Wear – having designed pages on the current website and working on their promotions and advertising.
* Emma Wilson is working full time as a graphic designer and marketing assistant at Forester Life Ltd where she is working on a major re-brand for the company.