Tag Archives: archives
Welcome to the new students at London College of Fashion and the other UAL colleges. If you are interested in the history of fashion and footwear in London then you may find the LCF Archives a good place to investigate. … Continue reading
Coming soon – Knitwear: Chanel to Westwood at Fashion Textile Museum from 19 September 2014 to 19 January 2015 . The blurb says: ‘Inspirational vintage fashion knitwear from the 20th century. Highlights include 1920s Chanel jersey, 1930s woollen swimwear, 1970s … Continue reading
A summery outfit from the 1970s. This paper pattern by Vogue Patterns is from the London College of Fashion Archives. You can more images from the Paper Pattern Archive here.
Dr Lucy Worsley’s latest BBC programme ‘Tales from the Royal Wardrobe’ includes Dr Shaun Cole discussing the wardrobe of Duke of Windsor. The London College of Fashion Archives has a pair of ‘royal’ shoes made for Queen Alexandra in 1910s but … Continue reading
The Oxford English Dictionary word of the day for 08 July is ‘discalceate’, v. [‘ intr. To remove one's shoes, go barefoot, esp. as a token of reverence or humility.’] Etymology: < post-classical Latin discalceat-, discalciat-, past participial stem (see -ate suffix3) of discalceare, discalciare … Continue reading
A reminder about the wonderful fashion films from the 1950s onwards available on the BBC Archives.
The BBC will be screening a new series ‘Shopgirls: the True Story of Life Behind the Counter‘ and publishing an accompanying book looking at the lives of women working in shops from the nineteenth century to the modern day. The … Continue reading
To mark the run up to the World Cup here is a 1920s soccer boot from the London College of Fashion Archives: Cordwainers College Shoe Collection. It is leather, made in England and has the label “The Scrum Regd. No 213255″
Two recent initiatives on how clothes can tell stories. The first is from Australia where the National Gallery of Victoria have commission crime writers to respond to garments from their collections in a project called ‘Threads of History‘. The second … Continue reading
Abigail Jones has created a film called ‘Drawing from the Archives’ based on the London College of Fashion Archives. Using the Cordwainers Shoe Collections Abigail records the process of looking and drawing, using the pencil mark to describe the shoes … Continue reading
Current Library Displays
- Journal of the Week: 'Journal of Contemporary Chinese Art'. Access via the e-Journals portal: http://t.co/5ecTsvSME7,
- Create a personalized reading room with #BrowZine. Download to get started! http://t.co/vDB4jpwhf5,
- RT @UAL_AcadSupport: One final place on Researching Skilfully workshop @LCCLondon tomorrow, book here: http://t.co/WtpshiacQr @UAL_Libraries @LearningZone,
- RT @bufvc_bob: Our webinar 'An intro to BoBl' is taking place TOMORROW, 1pm - 2pm. All welcome! It's not too late to book you know...http://t.co/Tl4Sxa9OzS,
- It's the return of Journal of the Week!This week:Luxury: History,Culture,Consumption.Access via the e-Journal portal: http://t.co/UzqJXxG9Zq,
- Dawsonera Update 24.10.14
- Dawsonera problems – update 21/10/14
- Ongoing problems with dawsonera ebooks
- Wimbledon library opening hours 6th – 14th October
- New Exhibition at the British Library
- Dawsonera ongoing download problems
- What has the London College of Fashion Archives got for you?
- Courtauld Annual Book Sale, 30 September – 7 October
- Printing services unavailable from 5pm today Thursday 25 September
- Changes to communications from UAL Libraries.