Tag Archives: archives
Coming soon – Knitwear: Chanel to Westwood at Fashion Textile Museum from 19 September 2014 to 19 January 2015 . The blurb says: ‘Inspirational vintage fashion knitwear from the 20th century. Highlights include 1920s Chanel jersey, 1930s woollen swimwear, 1970s … Continue reading
A summery outfit from the 1970s. This paper pattern by Vogue Patterns is from the London College of Fashion Archives. You can more images from the Paper Pattern Archive here.
Dr Lucy Worsley’s latest BBC programme ‘Tales from the Royal Wardrobe’ includes Dr Shaun Cole discussing the wardrobe of Duke of Windsor. The London College of Fashion Archives has a pair of ‘royal’ shoes made for Queen Alexandra in 1910s but … Continue reading
The Oxford English Dictionary word of the day for 08 July is ‘discalceate’, v. [‘ intr. To remove one's shoes, go barefoot, esp. as a token of reverence or humility.’] Etymology: < post-classical Latin discalceat-, discalciat-, past participial stem (see -ate suffix3) of discalceare, discalciare … Continue reading
A reminder about the wonderful fashion films from the 1950s onwards available on the BBC Archives.
The BBC will be screening a new series ‘Shopgirls: the True Story of Life Behind the Counter‘ and publishing an accompanying book looking at the lives of women working in shops from the nineteenth century to the modern day. The … Continue reading
To mark the run up to the World Cup here is a 1920s soccer boot from the London College of Fashion Archives: Cordwainers College Shoe Collection. It is leather, made in England and has the label “The Scrum Regd. No 213255″
Two recent initiatives on how clothes can tell stories. The first is from Australia where the National Gallery of Victoria have commission crime writers to respond to garments from their collections in a project called ‘Threads of History‘. The second … Continue reading
Abigail Jones has created a film called ‘Drawing from the Archives’ based on the London College of Fashion Archives. Using the Cordwainers Shoe Collections Abigail records the process of looking and drawing, using the pencil mark to describe the shoes … Continue reading
The Centre for Fashion Curation, a University of the Arts Research Centre based at the London College of Fashion, has core objectives to challenge and develop theory and practices by demonstrating and enabling rigorous, innovative and experimental work within fashion curation. … Continue reading
Current Library Displays
- Dear UAL Library users, the way we communicate with you will be changing from September. Find out more here: http://t.co/qG6sj87JuA,
- Don't forget Monday is a bank holiday so when Libraries etc close today they won't reopen until Tues 26 August http://t.co/4y120PD61b Enjoy!,
- Thanks to all who completed our library catalogue survey - really informative. We’re looking at new systems and aim to fulfil your wishes!,
- Next Monday 25 August is a bank holiday so all Libraries, Learning Zones and the ASCC will be closed. Check http://t.co/9GhcIVllAV,
- Wimbledon Library and Computer Centre will be closed on Friday 15th August due to essential IT work - Reopening on Monday 18th August.,
- Changes to communications from UAL Libraries.
- Bank Holiday Closing Monday 25 August 2014
- Library Survey results – SO helpful, thank you!
- Wimbledon Library and Computer Centre Closure 15th August
- Cite Them Right Online
- Camberwell Library Computer Centre closed 6 – 18 August
- Camberwell Library closed Wednesday 13 – Friday 15
- Knitwear exhibition this autumn
- Summer Opening – New EXTENDED Hours
- Summer in the Archives