MA Fashion Media Production graduate Yumi Noh used her final major project to create a platform and service system that makes cosmetics accessible to everyone, especially those visually impaired. Originally from South Korea, Yumi is also a makeup artist alongside being a Media Production graduate at London College of Fashion. We discuss the reasons behind her project, production in London and listening to Al Green ahead of the LCFMA18 media and communication exhibition next week.

'Project InoB' by MA Fashion Media Production graduate Yumi Noh for LCFMA18.

‘Project InoB’ by MA Fashion Media Production graduate Yumi Noh for LCFMA18.

Tell us about your final project…

‘Project InoB’ is based on personalisation, with regards to cosmetics, technology and disabled people. This project consists of a service system designed in a tech, cosmetics and smart band wearable. When clients order this tool, ‘Beauty Inside Creator’ will visit them to analyse their personal colours and their preferences via online communication, as the target group is visually impaired people. There will be an additional application service on smartphones that can be linked via Bluetooth. This system will manage personalised consumer scheduling through voice recognition, so users don’t need to type or use their phone. The InoB system will be connected to a smart band. This system will recommend suitable colours of cosmetics depending on the consumer’s schedule and their surrounding environment. The purpose of this product is to assist them in makeup application in multiple scenarios, from weather to their mood. These will be detected through a heart rate sensor through the wearable system.

What would be your top tips for new students?

I would suggest to them to try new things they have never done before.

What techniques did you use for your final major project?

I tried Arduino to make a whole system of mechanism and then I used 3D printing to make actual objects. This process challenged me, but I learnt a lot from it.

What made you chose LCF and London…

I came to London around six years ago. My background was a makeup artist and I wanted to get more experiences in London because its such a diverse city. I did BA (Hons) Fashion Hair and Make-up for Fashion at LCF. It was a great opportunity to learn different skills and support my Masters here.

What were the highlights and biggest challenges of your course?

As I studied fashion makeup before my Masters, everything was a big challenge, including learning new skills and gathering ideas.

What song or album are you currently listening to?

Just For Me – Al Green.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbHbe9_AeI4/?taken-by=pobee214

Have you been on a work placement or internship?

I’m currently working as a part-time make-up artist in London.

My biggest inspirations and muses are…

My biggest inspiration is everything around me.

What are your plans for life after your MA?

I want to get more experiences based on my postgraduate degree.

Alumni can connect with LCF in the following ways: