Singapore-native Rachel The is next up on LCF BA17. We talk to the BA (Hons) Fashion Public Relations and Communications graduate to hear about her about her final project that focuses on Spanish luxury brand, Delpozo, living in London and what Brexit means to the fashion industry. Rachel was the recipient of the Award for Excellence in Fashion Communication at the recent Student Awards ceremony.

BA (Hons) Fashion Public Relations and Communications graduate Rachel The.

BA (Hons) Fashion Public Relations and Communication graduate Rachel The.

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and the moment you knew you wanted to study fashion?

I think I always knew I wanted to do fashion. I like how you can find a balance of both the business side and creative side with PR.

Talk us through your final project…

It is a 12-month PR campaign on a Spanish luxury brand, Delpozo, that aims to alleviate key problems and threats which the brand is currently facing. I chose to focus on strengthening the brand’s relationship with its clients in the London market. This is mainly comprised of hosting exclusive brand dinners and services. So I have produced press kits, welcome gifts and mocked up event spaces according to the brand’s aesthetic

What is the story behind your final piece of work?

I chose the brand because I liked its clothes, and I also would eventually like to work in luxury.

What techniques or theories did you use to create your final piece of work?

I collaborated with an illustrator as well as a graduate in cultural studies, however, I mainly used InDesign, Photoshop, and SketchUp to create my work.

Have you undertaken any work experience or done a placement whilst at LCF? Where and how did you secure this work experience or placement?

I worked at Jenny Packham in London during our placement term in Year 2. I found it through LCF Careers.

Have you met or been inspired by any speakers from the industry whilst at LCF?

Elizabeth Sawyer Cherian, director of The Innovation Group at J. Walter Thompson came to speak about trends for a seminar and got me interested in pursuing trend forecasting.

Describe your work and aesthetic in five words…

Minimalistic, conceptual, feminine, simple, contemporary.

What influences your style and work?

It mostly depends on the brands that I choose to work on. I usually adapt to the brand’s aesthetic.

What are your plans for the future?

I will be doing a Masters at King’s.

How do you think your course and LCF will help you achieve this?

LCF definitely equips you well for the industry. You also graduate with a good amount of work that can be used as your portfolio.

What do you think Brexit means for the fashion industry and studying in London?

I think it’s still too early to tell, though I don’t think much will change for the industry. But as an international student, finding a job in London upon graduation will be quite intimidating.

Alumni can connect with LCF in the following ways: