MA Fashion Journalism graduate Nastja Nastic created a magazine that explores fashion and dining etiquette for her LCF MA17 Final Major Project, which will be on show at the LCFMA17 Media & Communication Exhibition: Found in Translation. We talk to her about moving from Slovenia, print magazine and her muse Diana Vreeland.

assiettefinal2-dragged-3

MA Fashion Journalism graduate Nastja Nastic, who’ll be showcasing at our Found In Translation.

Tell us about your final major project?

My love of fashion has always been intertwined with lifestyle and interiors. When I choose the topic of my magazine, I knew that I’ll work in this direction. I wanted to include food and recipes as well but it has been done so many times already, I knew it had to come with a twist. Table manners, setting the table for a meal and entertaining seemed like a great idea to explore. Also, the recession made a lot of people rethink how they’ll use their budget and I think that hosting dinner parties at home became very popular because of that. The first issue, Mind Your Manners!, explores table manners and basics of setting the table right in a mischievous way. The magazine’s not moralising or making people feel bad about themselves, it just offers something to ponder upon in a fun manner.

Where did you study prior to London College of Fashion?

I studied Journalism in Ljubljana before I did my MA. It gave me a solid background on journalistic practice which I found useful during my MA.

assiettefinal2-dragged-2

What would be your top three tips for prospective students? 

• Read: Not just fashion books or magazines. Reading classic and contemporary novels, newspapers etc. will help you develop your personal style of writing and you’ll learn new and exciting things along the way.
  • Time management: Time is very limited and you have to make sure you use it well. Start your final project early on, you can easily run out of time or something unexpected can happen that can set you back for a few days or even a week or two.
  • Take advantage of what LCF has to offer: The library is really great, there are so many different books and magazines you can choose from and the librarians are always happy to help you. LCF also goes out of their way to organise as many panel discussions and events with interesting people from the industry, which is a great opportunity to meet new people and hear about relevant topics from an industry perspective.

Why did you choose LCF and MA Fashion Journalism?

I always knew that I wanted to do my MA at LCF after I finish my studies in Slovenia. I leapt into it, I didn’t apply anywhere else because I knew it was either LCF or nothing. I wanted to have the experience of studying in London and I also felt like I needed a more focused approach to fashion journalism, which I didn’t get during my BA. I’ve heard many good things about the course and read anything I could find online. I’m still tremendously happy about my decision to study here.

assiettefinal2-dragged-4

What other work/projects do you do alongside MA Fashion Journalism?

Before I moved to London I did an internship with Elle Magazine in Slovenia. During my MA I still occasionally wrote for the magazine and covered London Fashion Week for them.

What did you enjoy most about the course, and what did you find most challenging?

I really enjoyed the lectures with our course leader Andrew Tucker and Glenn Waldron as well. They’ve both worked in the industry long enough, which makes them a valuable source of information. They were both extremely helpful during the development of our projects, offered guidance and ideas which helped me steer the project in the right direction. Fashion journalism is so much more than just writing, it includes editorial, graphic design and in this one year you really get to know the full circle of fashion media production. Staying focused while doing the final project was very challenging. Firstly, choosing an interesting topic helps, because that’s what you end up working on for the next five months. You will change your mind along the way but it’s important to keep on going. Secondly, there’s only you taking care of every aspect of the magazine and it can get daunting at times. It’s worth the effort though!

wp-1

What is your favourite thing about studying in London?

London is such a diverse and vibrant city where you have a chance of freedom and expressing yourself without being judged. There’s always something going on, which means there’s so much to see and to do, the city is constantly buzzing. Being a student in London gives you more time to explore the city, which is great.

Have you undertaken any work experience or placements whilst at LCF?

When I started the course I decided I’ll focus solely on doing my MA the best I can. Although it’s possible to work at the same time, I felt like it’s only a year and I wanted to get the most of my time at LCF.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCIVjpDol6d/

Describe your work in five words…

Fun, traditional, informative, sophisticated, colourful

Who is your biggest inspiration or muse?

I’ve always admired the late Diana Vreeland, her life and work at Harper’s Bazaar and Vogue. A lot of my inspiration stems out from art and history as well.

What are your future plans and how do you think the course has helped you realise this?

I’m staying in London for now. Right now I’m looking for a job and I feel that having my magazine as a portfolio will really help me present my work to potential employers. This course has given me confidence and taught me to trust my instincts, skills and abilities. The course helped me spark my creativity and I learned that there’s so much I can feel inspired by, there’s no boundaries in fashion and there’s no wrong or right.

LCF moving to Stratford: What do you think about the university moving east?

Although I do like the fact that LCF is based in the center of London, it will be much more convenient for the students to have all facilities under one roof. It will save them a lot of time going back and forth between different locations.

Alumni can connect with LCF in the following ways: