MA Fashion Media Production graduate Lukas Blasberg explored the increasing rate of anxiety amongst Generation Y for his LCF MA17 Final Major Project, which will be on show at the LCFMA17 Media & Communication Exhibition: Found in Translation. We caught up with him ahead of the show, which opens to the public on Thursday 16 February at House of Vans London. The German-born artist and creative is the latest Graduate Spotlight feature, we talk Fashion Media and Damien Hirst with him.

Lukas Blasberg will be showing his FMP at LCF MA17 Exhibition.

Tell us about your Final Major Project and what you created?

My final project Residuum is concerned with Generation Y and an increasing rate of anxiety and other mental health issues among its members. It is a interactive moving image art-piece, which depicts three basic and rather personal emotions of an anxiety disorder: Fear, stress and panic – showing both the body and mind in different stages and using the technology of Xbox Kinect Sensors to incorporate the audience into the artwork.

What does Fashion Media mean to you?

I think Fashion Media is a broad term. Fashion involves so much more than clothing today. It has become a platform for social discussion and serves as a creative outlet that reflects the current state of our society. Personally I think it is art. But what isn’t art?

Where did you study prior to London College of Fashion? 

University of South Wales.

What would be your top three tips for prospective students?

Be authentic, be personal and be independent.

Why did you choose LCF and MA Fashion Media Production?

MA Fashion Media Production seemed to be the right choice, as it embraces a broad range of backgrounds in its prospective students and supports students within their own field of study. Therefore, it helped me to develop my own independent way of working and establish myself in an entirely new field.

What did you enjoy most about the course, and what did you find most challenging?

I really enjoyed the independency of the course that pushed me to decide the scope and forms of my work on my own. It helped me push myself into something completely new and got me into doing art. But I guess it is also the most challenging aspect. You have to decide what you want to do and what you want to be.

What is your favourite thing about studying in London?

I think London is one of the few places where you can truly be yourself without anyone ever judging. No one cares if you are different. Quote by Winston S. Churchill, ‘I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.’

Have you undertaken any work experience or placements whilst at LCF?

I already worked as a stylist and art director before I came to UAL and have continued during the course. You can see my work on my website.

screen-shot-2017-01-30-at-14-55-41

MA Fashion Media Production graduate Lukas Blasberg for Harper’s Bazaar.

Describe your work in five words…

Provocative, innovative, personal, multi-dimensional and honest.

Who is your biggest inspiration or muse?

I am a great admirer of many artists, such as Damien Hirst, Ai WeiWei, Warhol and Richard Prince. But I think I draw inspiration from everyday-life and myself. Art should be authentic and personal, in the end I am the only person I really know.

What are your future plans and how do you think the course has helped you realise this?

Apart from my fashion work, the course has given me the opportunity to get into fine art. I want to continue working on that #biggerthanhirst.

lukas-blasberg

LCF moving to Stratford: What do you think about the university moving east?

Personally I liked the old Oxford Circus building. It’s a symbol of power. But I think it’s a good opportunity as east is home to all kinds of creatives and therefore might help students build a network that aids and stimulates creative collaborations.