Our BA Design Exhibition opens today and runs until Sunday 22nd June. This is your chance to see the wealth of design talent coming out of LCF.  As part of our Class of 2014 series we are featuring students whose work is on display at the exhibition. Here BA (Hons) Fashion Textiles: Knit student Emily Carter talks us through her LCF experiences.

LCF: What have you enjoyed most about studying at LCF?
Emily Carter: The tutors are fantastic, and if you work hard and give them a reason to put their time into you, you’ll get amazing advice and results. I would never have achieved what I have without them. My course was also brilliant because it has given me the freedom to do whatever I like. I specialised in knit but was also a keen illustrator and embroiderer, I was able to use the facilities to mix all three.  There are so many competitions which are run alongside the course as well, many of which I have entered during the 3 years which has strengthened skills in other areas which I hadn’t previously recognised.

LCF: Have you won any prizes / been in the media / undertaken work experience?
EC: I presented my illustrations to the Countess of Wessex – my work was in Hello! Magazine. I was shortlisted for the Artsthread Winston Churchill competition 2013, was involved in the 10 Stores Challenge event and have entered illustration, anti-fur, flora & fauna and many more competitions. Also using the Fashion Business Resource Studio was really useful as it enabled me to find internships in first and second year, which I did solidly to bulk up my CV.

LCF: What inspires you?
EC: My illustrations are inspired by my love of natural history and flora & fauna, and my textiles can be inspired by pretty much anything. Colour is a really important aspect of my work so anything that captures the right colour palettes and variations is immediately appealing to me.

LCF: What is most important to you about fashion?
EC: Fashion gives us the freedom to look however we want to, and gives designers the freedom to make anything, the possibilities are endless.

LCF: How would you sum up your final project?
EC: My final major project was a four look collection of mixed-media, illustrated knitwear. Colour gradients run through each look, as well as embroidered perspex, luxury faux fur, hand embroidery techniques and matching accessories. It’s fun, texturous, colourful and should be enjoyable and comfortable to wear.

LCF: What are your plans for the future? And how do you feel your course will help you?
EC: I am planning to set up my own business as a freelance illustrator and luxury scarf designer. I have spent my final term building a business and the products I am planning to sell, and working out ways of marketing myself for the future. It was really useful to be able to do that before I left so I had the time to make the right contacts and research my market etc thoroughly.

LCF: What advice would you give someone wanting to study for a BA at LCF?
EC: You get out what you put in. If you work hard you’ll achieve things you never thought you’d be able to do, and believe me, it’s so rewarding. Plus, LCF if filled with contacts, do your networking at university, you never know who you’ll meet.