With Show Two: Design now open, we talk to exhibiting design students about their work and the inspirations behind it.

For his final project, MA Design (Ceramics) student, Samuel Gull draws on his passion for surfaces, exploring texture and decoration to produce a series of psychedelic ceramic pieces. Samuel’s work takes inspiration from 20th century sci-fi, culture culture theories, parallel worlds, graphic design and illustration, giving each of his pieces its own unique narrative. Here, Samuel highlights five of his most cherished influences: 

1. Samuel Gull’s sketchbook
  1. I always try and keep notebooks on me. Recording an idea as soon as I get it is really important to my process, even if the idea doesn’t seem relevant to anything at all. This page was a result of watching octopuses  squeeze in and out of small spaces on YouTube, notes about interiors, and designs of ceramic vessels I had been drawing. Now that I have the drawing I can start to generate a collection out of this creature’s home. Then when I’am finished  it might be time to discover what its neighbours house might look like.
  2. Proteus by Ed Key and David Kanaga. This landscape exploration video game for Mac and PC is filled with beautifully orchestrated subtle ties within its visual and sound design. As you adventure through the landscape you are nudged and given clues in the form of  sound and vision to travel further and discover cosmic events.
  3.  Coral castle by Edward Leedskalnin. Coral Castle was build  single handedly by the self taught engineer and sculptor  Edward  Leedskalnin in 1920. The structure is mostly limestone and formed coral. There are theories on how he was able to create such monolithic structures, from geographical alignments with earths natural energy lines to the use of anti gravitational devises for work aid.

4. The work of Chris Foss. Chris Foss envisions  the most exciting spaceships ever. They are filled  with expression and impossibly believable form. His work reminds us  that visions of the future can be bright, round, daring and speculator.

5. Plantaisa by Mort Garson. This record was designed to be played to your plants to help them grow, I’m not sure if it works for them, but the record is most certainly calming for a human to listen to.  

Show Two: Design is open to the public  Central Saint Martins, 21-25 June.

More information: