Professor Louise Wilson OBE – 1962 to 2014

LOUISE WILSON BFC AWARDS 2012

Louise Wilson at the British Fashion Council Awards

Central Saint Martins is devastated to hear of the death of Professor Louise Wilson OBE.

Louise has been an inspirational person both within the College and the wider world of fashion. Since becoming Course Director for MA Fashion in 1992 she has taught a huge proportion of the world’s leading fashion designers and her course continues to produce talented ground-breaking graduates. Her commitment to her students and passion for creative excellence are legendary. Her deep understanding of fashion and her drive for funding for bursaries, facilities and opportunities are part of what made her such an extraordinary educator.

Louise’s legacy will live on at CSM through her former students and current teaching colleagues who were so close to her. Central Saint Martins is grateful to have been able to enjoy the fruits of Louise’s great talent for educating for the last twenty two years and will support her staff and students as they go forward from here.

Her partner Timmi and son TJ are very much in our thoughts and will remain so.

8 responses

1. Richard Christopher 17 May 2014

Very sad to hear this news. My thoughts are with you and your family.

You will be missed!

2. Jiashi Liu 17 May 2014

Rest in peace.

3. Rebecca Barton 18 May 2014

I wanted to send my love and good wishes to every student and member of staff that ever had the wonderful fortune to come in contact with Louise Wilson. It is a community of probably a few thousand very privileged students, all of whom couldn’t have failed to be influenced by her.
    She was my personal tutor in 1990-1992 when Bobby Hillson was the head of the course. There were only 12 of us on the M.A that year (including Alexander McQueen), Louise would spend all of her time in the studio, making us question every decision, pushing us to be the very best we could be, she was incredibly supportive of me, only ever saying one thing was rubbish…it was a pair of tartan trousers and she was right…they went in the bin!
    Her skill was in being honest, and hard while still making it clear that she cared.
    I have spoken to a few people over the weekend who she taught and the response has been the same, absolute shock and sadness.
    It is a rare thing when someone has such a huge effect on so many,
    please can there be a memorial for past students so that we can come together to celebrate her? If so please please let me know about it.
    Love to all X

4. Sam 19 May 2014

The Don may be gone but she will never be forgotten.
    R.I.P

5. John Wilson 20 May 2014

As a former visiting tutor at CSM I was one of those people who had the privilege of knowing and working with Louise. I remember meetings with her in her office, door closed, and knocks on the door answered (in a very powerful voice) with something like, ‘I’m busy with someone more important at the moment, who is it?’. She made us all feel ‘so important’, she’d only ever let Jessie in! I am very sad that she has gone. Someone I will never forget.

6. […] everyone who got to see the parade in Islington by the way…), a piece of shocking news broke.  Louise Wilson had passed away.  Imran Amed and I were poring over Twitter/Google+ updates to verify the news as we were taking […]

7. Esther Franklin 20 May 2014

Incredibly sad news – Louise was my mentor for the class of 1997, she created the platform for me to experiment and grow. Her talent in nurturing talent will be greatly missed. RIP

8. Ella Sharp 20 May 2014

So sad to hear this tragic news, the fashion industry has lost a great enabler for talent.

Have your say!