Today we are having a closer look at the amazing Materials and Products Collection that is a part of the Central Saint Martins Library and accessible to all UAL students.
The Materials and Products Collection is a selection of new and innovative materials that represent current trends in design and manufacturing. It contains a range of resources to help research materials and processes, including suppliers and manufacturers catalogues, key reference books, magazines and online resources.
The collection is continuously growing to ensure that it contains an up-to-date selection of materials for research and inspiration purposes.
The samples are carefully organised by material family, including the label with the name of the material and manufacturer’s contact details.
You can find here samples of metal, wood, plastic, paper, foam, textiles and glass, among others.
The collection is key for the students who are looking for inspiration and need to research the different options available in the market. It also allows students to have an object approach and an excellent source to accompany the written information from the books at the library.
How can you use the collection?
- The collection is available in the Library for all students and staff at UAL. It is a self-service resource and you can access it whenever the CSM Library is open!
- You can use the materials, catalogues and books from the collection for reference in the CSM Library.
- You can photograph, scan or copy the collection for your own research!
How can the collection be beneficial for you?
- It complements the information and theoretical knowledge from the books because you can get a better understanding of the materials when you can see them and touch them.
- It gives you valuable knowledge of the current materials that you could use for your designs in fashion, textiles, furniture, interior, etc.
- The samples include manufacturer’s details, so you can find and buy these materials to produce your designs.
- It is a source of inspiration to develop the first ideas for your designs and explore new possibilities. You may come across some interesting materials that you have never seen before!
Central Saint Martins Materials & Product Collection Interview
This amazing collection is available for all UAL students to access. Come check it out!
For full information about the Central Saint Martins Library and Learning Zone opening hours.