Portfolio Preparation for Art College 16 to 18 Year Olds aims to help students develop their portfolios for application to Foundation or BA. It’s also for this very reason that student, Kelsey Mumford, chose to attend this incredibly popular short course, “I wanted full involvement and understanding of what was expected from a UAL portfolio specifically.” Here’s Kelsey’s journey and some examples of the incredible work the course helped her create.
Kelsey Mumford

Kelsey Mumford

What is your name and where are you from?

My name is Kelsey Mumford, I was born in London but I live in the United States of America.

What is your occupation?

I am a student, senior, at the Ramón C. Cortines School of Visual and Performing Arts high school in Downtown Los Angeles. Being within walking distance of both the fashion and art district is the perfect distraction for me.

© Kelsey Mumford

© Kelsey Mumford

What course did you study on and why did you choose it?

I studied upon the Portfolio Preparation for Art College 16 to 18 Year Olds course last summer. I chose this because, with the stressful college application process, I wanted full involvement and understanding of what was expected from a UAL portfolio specifically.

What did you enjoy most about your course?

I had a nice teacher (Renata Hegyi) who took the time to walk the class through every aspect of a university level portfolio and how to reach it, she also offered tips on formulating a well-rounded application which was really beneficial.

© Kelsey Mumford, Portfolio Preparation for Art College 16 to 18 Year Olds student work

How has this course benefited your career and personal development?

I now have a completely new understanding of college-level art, which is extremely important. Even though the course was challenging and the instructor was strict, all this simply made me want to study fashion more. Especially being around the diversely talented students; I really cannot wait to get stuck into this competitive industry!

What would you say to someone who is thinking about taking a short course at Central Saint Martins?

TAKE IT! Studying at CSM is honestly an incredible and rare opportunity. Being taught at one of the top fashion universities in the world for even just one week can influence your life, it definitely has for me.

© Kelsey Mumford

© Kelsey Mumford

What do you believe is integral to the work of an artist, in any discipline?

It can be both a stressful and relaxing task, but I think this applies to anything in life. For an artist, in any discipline, we are able to find the harmony between our stress and creation, and somehow meditate at the moment.

Working as an artist I also have these moments where it becomes less about the look or appeal and more about the message – specifically in my conceptual fashion works. I do not care if someone does not appreciate how my art looks, I just hope they comprehend what I am trying to get across. Art is a complex language on its own that the doers are trying to teach to the rest of the world. We do not take our fluency for granted. People do not compare art with anything remotely “academic” but it truly is a “left brain, right brain,” task. I am so lucky to have found that creative spark in me.

© Kelsey Mumford

© Kelsey Mumford

What 3 words best describe your short course experience at CSM?

Educational. Eye-opening. Inspiring.

© Kelsey Mumford

© Kelsey Mumford

You can see more of Kelsey’s fantastic work via her Instagram, @kelseyyfashion. Renata Hegyi’s highly regarded Portfolio Preparation for Art College 16 to 18 Year Olds course also runs again this Summer School but hurry as places are booking incredibly quickly! And, for those of you planning ahead, the course returns for Christmas School. See you there!