Valentina Schuchner is a Fashion Design student who was looking for a new creative outlet. She said, “I signed up for the course because as an introvert, it’s easy for me to get alienated from my own nature.” We spoke with Valentina to find out how the course has helped her develop, what are the benefits of attending Exploring Illustration and how a short course could be the start of her MA journey.
Valentina Schuchner, © Central Saint Martins Short Courses

What is your name and where are you from?

My name is Valentina Schuchner and I am from Argentina.

What is your occupation?

I am a BA Fashion Design student studying in Buenos Aires.

© Valentina Schuchner

© Valentina Schuchner

What short course did you study on and why did you choose it?

I took Exploring Illustration. I signed up for the course because as an introvert, it’s easy for me to get alienated from my own nature. Illustration, and art in general, have always helped me to communicate in a different way.

What did you enjoy most about your course?

I enjoyed chatting with my tutor, who was very helpful in teaching me new techniques and introducing me to materials I would never have thought to learn. I also enjoyed sharing my ideas and discussing them with my classmates. Most of all I loved the dynamics of the class, they were so much fun!

© Valentina Schuchner

© Valentina Schuchner

© Valentina Schuchner

© Valentina Schuchner

How has this course benefited your career and personal development?

I think the experience of having visited and studied at Central Saint Martins was very beneficial. Our teacher kindly explained to us how the world of illustration works and provided us with agencies and representatives to follow up with. By attending it also allowed me to find out more about the different courses available at University of the Arts London, and learn more about how to apply for a Master’s Degree, which I’m hoping to do.

What would you say to someone who is thinking about taking a short course at Central Saint Martins?

In my case I had the best experience of my life at CSM. I went to class every day with a smile on my face and afterwards I couldn’t wait for the next lesson to start. I only took a one week course but if I could have I would have stayed so much longer! It was a wonderful learning experience and I never thought I could learn so many new things in such a short time. I would totally recommend it.

Valentina Schuchner's work, © Central Saint Martins Short Courses

Valentina Schuchner’s work, © Central Saint Martins Short Courses

What do you believe is integral to the work of an artist, in any discipline?

I believe putting your heart into your work is key, it’s what makes your work different, unique and personal. I also think you should be curious and determined, with a desire to improve and learn new things.

What 3 words best describe your short course experience at CSM?

Enjoyable, enriching and illuminating.

© Valentina Schuchner

© Valentina Schuchner

You can discover more about Valentina and see some of her stunning fashion design work via her website. If you’re feeling inspired, we also have spaces available on the upcoming Exploring Illustration course taking place towards to the end of Summer School. Summer School starts on 24th June 2019 and runs for 12 weeks; we have plenty of courses to choose from and can’t wait to see which you have picked, see you there!