In today’s Student Stories we speak with retired Architect, Kevin Barnaville, to discover more about why he chose to study Introduction to Sculpture.

© Kevin Barnaville

Hi! What is your name and where are you from?

My name is Kevin Barnaville and I’m from Surrey, UK.

What is your occupation?

I am a retired Architect and now, a landlord.

What course did you choose to study?

I chose Jefford Horrigan’s (tutor) Introduction to Sculpture course.

What did you enjoy most about your course?

The fresh inspiration I experienced, accompanied with a powerful intellectual message which promoted a sense of the worth of recent innovations, and the parallel intellectual courage of innovating artists in the past and present century. Jefford was unending in his encouragement of the students. It’s a brilliant course.

How has this course benefited your career and personal development?

I have been imbued with a sense of enthusiasm for producing more work. Also giving more of my time and thought on the subject of art, and the perception of art together with its power to jolt one into understanding the wider range of lifetime experiences that can be instrumental in producing new and mystical ways of perceiving the questions asked.

What would you say to someone who is thinking about taking a short course at Central Saint Martins?

Do it and enjoy the challenges to act in present time.

What do you believe is integral to the work of an artist, in any discipline?

To understand the traditional sense of beauty, firmness, commodity and delight, as a foil but to be ready to transpose one loci of perception, in an open minded way, to the new frontiers of art in an effort to understand through others eyes and experiences.

What 3 words best describe your short course experience at CSM?

Exhilarating, iconoclastic and proposals.

AND if Kevin’s eloquence has inspired you to begin your artistic journey, you can book a place upon the Introduction to Sculpture course right now. Want something sooner? Summer Term starts next week and we have plenty of evening, Saturday and weekend courses to choose from.