We are always thrilled to hear of any success stories coming out of our Short Courses. Today we hear from Becks Armstrong, CEO of Clarity and student on the Design Thinking for Business Innovation course, about how the course helped her get her startup off the ground!

© Becks Armstrong

Hi Becks, could you tell us a little about yourself? Where are you from and what do you do?

I’m from Wagga Wagga, Australia. I now live in London, and I’m the Full time founder and CEO of Clarity – a mindfulness, relaxation and sleep app for menopausal women. I had the start of the concept but by doing the course with Paul I realised that I had been looking at it myopically – I hadn’t gone out and properly tested the market, I was just doing what I thought would be right. By doing the course and working with the others in my team I was able to improve the concept and create the app. The minimum viable product app had 1800 downloads in just 6 months! 

We have changed markets (again due to testing that I learned in Paul’s class) and now we are focusing on the menopause market.

What course did you study on and why did you choose it?

I completed the design thinking for business innovation course in 2017. I chose that course as I am interested in design thinking and was working on a concept that I wanted to see if I could make into a proper business.

© Becks Armstrong

What did you enjoy most about your course?

It really helped me think outside the box for my own product which was just what I hoped for. Paul was incredibly knowledgeable and was able to answer questions thoroughly. I enjoyed seeing what other people were interested in and have kept in contact with quite a few people from the course.

How has this course benefitted your career and personal development?

The course helped me look and test things differently. I created a minimum viable product and am now at the point that people are paying for the app. I am now working on the concept full time and am about to go for investment funding to take the next step for the business.

What would you say to someone who is thinking about taking a short course at Central Saint Martins?

Do it! The information is incredibly valuable and very practical. You can take an idea and really develop a concept and product from it. The people that do the course come from all around the world and have such interesting ideas, you can also create lifelong friends!

What do you believe is integral to the work of an artist or creative, in any discipline?

I think fully exploring a concept, if you have a framework to follow and are willing to step out of your comfort zone you can achieve more than you even realise.

What 3 words best describe your short course experience at CSM?

Practical, useful, helpful

Like the sound of the Design Thinking for Business Innovation course? Places for the next course are available to book today! Don’t miss out!