Event Planner, Lauren Raby, attended our Central Saint Martins’ Summer School, Event Design course, to brush up her knowledge on the topic and increase her creativity within her freelance event planning work. Discover how a practising professional uses our courses to reach their full potential.

© Lauren Raby

Hi! What is your name and where are you from?

My Name is Lauren Raby, and I am from London.

What is your occupation?

I’ve previously run my own boutique event consultancy and now, after travelling around America, I’m a freelance Event Planner based here in London.

© Lauren Raby

What course did you study on and why did you choose it?

I studied Event Design at CSM as it is one of the first universities to offer the subject with a key focus on the creative side. As an Event Planner, I’ve worked on a lot of different events across many different industries so this course was perfect for me to take a more creative stance on my projects. I’ve already had practical event design experience but learning from experts in the field meant that I was able to deepen my understanding and refine my processes.

What did you enjoy most about your course?

I loved being able to take a deep dive into the creative process of an event designer and learn about different ways to express your ideas. The pace of the course was quite intense as there was a lot to fit in, which was great as I came away with so much.

It was also really interesting to learn about our tutors, Merle Hensel and Sue Mayes, and their backgrounds in and around event design; as well as the group members because we all had different experiences which were great to share.

© Lauren Raby

© Lauren Raby

How has this course benefited your career and personal development?

I feel as though this course has enhanced and validated my existing event design experience. If this course were extended, I’d be back in a heartbeat! It was a real joy to work with tutors who were not only experts but super supportive and gave one-on-one tuition throughout the week.

What would you say to someone who is thinking about taking a short course at Central Saint Martins?

CSM is an incredible institution in itself, so to be able to study something you’re passionate about with expert tutors and use the best facilities available – why wouldn’t you?! You’re never going to regret investing in your passion.

© Lauren Raby

© Lauren Raby

What do you believe is integral to the work of an artist, in any discipline?

Find your own way to express your ideas – create something authentic to you.

What 3 words best describe your short course experience at CSM?

Inspiring. Intense. Fun.

You can keep up to date with Lauren via her Instragram, @_raby_. If you’re a professional or completely new to Event Design, but feeling inspired, you can secure a place on our upcoming course right now! Or, if you want further inspiration than discover all of our amazing Student Stories today.