In this weeks Student Stories we spoke with Jake Longley. A photography enthusiast, Jake wanted to develop upon his street and fine art experience to working in a studio, and especially with lighting. Selecting the Studio Photography (Weekend) short course, here’s how Jake found his weekend at CSM.
© Rachael Sanders

© Rachael Sanders, “Jake Longley” portrait

What is you name and where are you from?

My name is Jake Longley and I am from Oxford, UK but live in London.

What is your occupation?

I work in international student recruitment for a university.

© Jake Longley

© Jake Longley, “Rachael Sanders” portrait

What course did you study on and why did you choose it?

I studied a weekend Studio Photography short course, Studio Photography (Weekend). I chose this course as I am enthusiastic hobbyist in photography but all my experience is in street and fine art photography. I want to pursue a career in photography however I don’t know how to use lighting, whether in or out of a studio environment, and thought this course would be the perfect place to begin learning!

What did you enjoy most about your course?

I really enjoyed how practical the course was. Our tutor, Jet, gave us examples of set ups to try but really encouraged us to experiment and try different methods. Jet was on hand to offer advice, tips and suggestions to our set ups, as well as show us how to set different moods and atmospheres using light.

How has this course benefited your career and personal development?

I feel I came away with a great understanding of how lighting works in a studio environment, but more so that I am enthusiastic and inspired to continue learning and developing using lights in photography. I want to push further into studio photography, but also using lights in my own personal practice.

© Jake Longley

© Jake Longley

What would you say to someone who is thinking about taking a short course at Central Saint Martins?

Definitely do it! Be ready for a very practical and inspiring experience. The time on the course goes fast so make sure you experiment as much as possible, challenge any ideas you have, and then put the learning straight into your practice outside of the classroom.

What do you believe is integral to the work of an artist, in any discipline?

I think the most important thing is to challenge any preconceptions you have, whether technical or theoretical. This will only increase your learning and will have a beneficial impact on what you produce.

What 3 words best describe your short course experience at CSM?

Not long enough! Only because I was so inspired and ready to use everything I had learnt. I could easily have spent another week in the studios trying ideas out, but it’s time to go and put what I have learnt into practice.

© Jake Longley

© Jake Longley

You can discover more of Jake’s stunning work via his website and Instagram account, @jakeeeeoooo. If you want some more inspiration as to why a weekend course could be perfect for you, check out our recent article, “5 reasons why you should definitely take a weekend course at CSM!“. All weekend courses are listed on the CSM Short Courses website.