In today’s Student Stories we talk with designer and Typography short course student Reuben Ashby about his experience at Central Saint Martins, and how the courses has benefited his professional career.
© Reuben Ashby

© Reuben Ashby

Hi! What is your name and where are you from?

My name is Reuben Ashby. I was born in Hackney, London, and I am now living in Brighton.

What is your occupation?

Freelance lettering and design.

What course did you study on and why did you choose it?

I chose Typography to learn more about different styles of lettering and how to use them appropriately, as well as to improve my composition using type for future projects.

© Reuben Ashby

© Reuben Ashby

What did you enjoy most about your course?

How the tutor made sure the work I was doing would help me in my career and gave me lots of tips and tricks to help make things easier; I also enjoyed using the facilities like the letterpress room and the library. We also went on a tour around the local area to show how different kinds of letters are used for businesses.

How has this course benefited your career and personal development?

The course has definitely made my work flow quicker, more efficient and opened my eyes to different kinds of letter styles that I can now use to reach a wider audience. I’ve also learnt how to compose letters better enabling me to render quotes and multiple words on a page rather than just single words, and use styles that will emphasise the meaning.

What would you say to someone who is thinking about taking a short course at Central Saint Martins?

I have already recommended my friends look into doing one of the short courses, especially the typography course I was involved in. I would say go in with an open mind; be open to ideas and make sure to discuss with the tutor what your plans are for the future as they will try their best to help you achieve it.

© Reuben Ashby

What do you believe is integral to the work of an artist, in any discipline?

Be passionate about what you are creating and share your work with others in hopes to inspire people so the discipline can be pushed even further. Always be curious about the future of your discipline and encourage positive chance in your work as it could result in something that has never been done before and further push the boundaries of what you love to do.

What 3 words best describe your short course experience at CSM?

Fun, exciting, progressive.

© Reuben Ashby

You can keep up with Reuben’s work via his Instagram, @skatereubeno. We also have upcoming dates for the Typography course in Easter School, Thursday evenings during Summer Term as well as over Summer School. The course is suitable for beginners just as much as more experienced students, such as Reuben; we look forward to seeing you there!