Our short courses are ideal for anyone looking to kick start a change in their career! This is exactly what Ana Rita Otsuka, the focus of this student story, did, first attending our Graphics Folio course and then moving on to complete a Masters degree. Watch her video interview or read her Student Story post below.

Hi, What is your name and where are you from?

My name is Ana Rita Silva Otsuka and I am from Brazil. I grew up in a small town called Sertãozinho.

What is your occupation?

I just moved back to Brazil after finishing my studies at Central Saint Martins (CSM) and I am looking for a job.

© Ana Rita Otsuka

What course did you study on and why did you choose it?

I have finished a Masters in Graphic Communication Design. Prior to moving to London I had finished a bachelor in International Relations and I had a good job opportunity. I made a life changing decision and started a Graphics Folio course at Central Saint Martins. I had very little experience in Graphic Design and I believed the Portfolio course would help me to build a good body of work to apply to CSM and other art schools.

© Ana Rita Otsuka

© Ana Rita Otsuka

What did you enjoy most about your course?

The portfolio course gave me a taste of what my life as a CSM student would be like. It not only gave me access to the school but introduced me to a way of thinking and creating work that it was completely new for me. Our tutor was great in pushing us forward, bringing references and encouraging our ideas.

How has this course benefitted your career and personal development?

After I finished the Portfolio course I applied to five different schools in Europe. I got accepted to four schools, including a masters at Central Saint Martins. Also, thanks to the portfolio I developed in the course I was hired to work as a design intern in Germany.

© Ana Rita Otsuka

What would you say to someone who is thinking about taking a short course at Central Saint Martins?

Before starting my masters I did three short courses at Central Saint Martins. It was a dream to study there. Short courses give you a glimpse of your life as a student at CSM. It was great introduction to the school and to London.

What do you believe is integral to the work of an artist, in any discipline?

Research, reflection and iterations

© Ana Rita Otsuka

© Ana Rita Otsuka

What 3 words best describe your short course experience at CSM?

Surprising, overwhelming and rewarding.

© Ana Rita Otsuka

© Ana Rita Otsuka

Feeling inspired? Applications for Graphics Folio are open right now! Or discover plenty more amazing courses running this December during our Christmas School, see you there. Like Ana Rita’s Work? Follow her on Instagram or visit her Website for more.

Interested in hearing more experiences from Short Course students at CSM? Click here for more student stories.