In today’s post we caught up with Kelis Darko, a recent student on our Summer School (and upcoming) course, Textile Art for 16 to 18 Year Olds. Kelis talked to us about how she has incorporated new skills into her own practice as well as her experience at Central Saint Martins.

© Kelis Darko

Hi, what is your name and where are you from?

I’m Kelis Darko and I am from Northampton, which is roughly about an hour away from London. I have lived there all my life.

What is your occupation?

I am currently studying A-levels at Kingsthorpe College in Textiles (Art and Design), English Literature and Psychology. I started my second year in September.

© Kelis Darko

What did you enjoy most about your course?

Obviously learning new textile art techniques was exciting, but also meeting international students who had flown all the way from Portugal, France and Holland just to be here.

How has this course benefited your career and personal development?

I have included weaving into my school textile sketchbook with the theme of “fragments”, a new technique I can now demonstrate, as well as introducing new textures and aesthetics.

A classmate’s work, photo © Kelis Darko

What would you say to someone who is thinking about taking a short course at Central Saint Martins?

Ask questions! Don’t be afraid to push yourself and be confident that you have the ability to try new things and be experimental in your ideas and designs .

What do you believe is integral to the work of an artist, in any discipline?

Be open to new ideas and experiment. Try not to focus too much in one lane because you’ll never excel in any other area. Once you have got confident in one area, try another; take inspiration from others and create your own style.

A classmate’s work, photo © Kelis Darko

What 3 words best describe your short course experience at CSM?

Quirky, experimental and elite.

Feeling inspired? You can secure your place on Textile Art for 16 to 18 Year Olds right now with dates available, 17th to 21st December 2018, in our upcoming Christmas School. AND there’s many more fantastic course for teenagers to discover and book right now.