In today’s Student Stories we talk with Ellen Ringrose. No stranger to Central Saint Martins Short Courses, Ellen attended four courses for teenagers this Summer School and produced some genuinely stunning work.
© Ellen Ringrose

© Ellen Ringrose

Hi, what is your name and where are you from?

My name is Ellen Ringrose and I am from London, UK.

What is your occupation?

I’m a student at an art specialist sixth form college.

© Ellen Ringrose

© Ellen Ringrose

What course did you study on and why did you choose it?

This Summer School I studied Contemporary Painting Practice for 16-18 Year Olds, Graphic Design for 16 to 18 Year Olds, Life Drawing for 16 to 18 Year Olds and the Portfolio Preparation for Art College 16 to 18 Year Olds course. I also attended similar short courses with Central Saint Martins last summer and I made so many new friends from across the globe. My skills developed so quickly with excellent guidance and encouragement from the tutors so I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to come back for another summer!

© Ellen Ringrose

© Ellen Ringrose

What did you enjoy most about your course?

The chance to meet other like minded people is really amazing, I would never have met half of the people I’m friends with now if I hadn’t come! The same goes for the tutors; they have roots from Italy to England to Holland; CSM is a real hub of ideas and creative interaction.

© Ellen Ringrose

© Ellen Ringrose

How has this course benefited your career and personal development?

Coming to CSM has strengthened my confidence with people and in my art work. My portfolio is a hundred times stronger than it would have been if I’d stuck to a traditional A Level and GCSE style of work, the tutors treat me like an adult and encourage the class to try new things. Coming to CSM also helped me realise that I didn’t want to be in the “traditional” school system any longer so, after getting my GCSE results, I took the leap and transferred to my current college.

What would you say to someone who is thinking about taking a short course at Central Saint Martins?

Do it! You won’t regret it. There’s a huge range of disciplines to choose from and even further niche specialisms within those. You can make incredible new friends and you’ll feel like a stronger, more capable person.

© Ellen Ringrose

© Ellen Ringrose

What do you believe is integral to the work of an artist, in any discipline?

Don’t get bogged down simply trying to please the market; our best works reflect something of ourselves, however small or subtle that may be.

What 3 words best describe your short course experience at CSM?

Strengthening, productive and beautiful.

© Ellen Ringrose

© Ellen Ringrose

You can see more of Ellen’s amazing work on her WordPress site, Ellen’s World. There are also plenty of upcoming courses for teenagers available to book right now, with dates available for Contemporary Painting Practice for 16-18 Year Olds, Graphic Design for 16 to 18 Year Olds and the Portfolio Preparation for Art College 16 to 18 Year Olds course. Plus, just this week there are brand new dates available for Summer School 2019! Don’t delay, secure your courses today.