Concluding our CSM Summer School 2018 winner’s articles, all of whom won a place on a CSM weekend, Saturday and Sunday, course of their choosing. Our final winning student story is with A-Level student, Thomas Spooner, who attended one of CSM’s fantastic courses for teenagers, the hugely popular Fashion Design for 16 to 18 Year Olds.
© Thomas Spooner, Fashion Design for 16 to 18 Year Olds

What is your name?

Thomas Spooner

What are you presently studying and/or what is your occupation?

I am currently studying my A-Levels at college which are in Textiles, Photography and Product Design. I also work as a Sales Assistant at a luxury menswear store named Pockets.

What course did you study on and why did you choose it?

I studied upon the Fashion Design for 16 to 18 Year Olds course. I chose it because I am an aspiring fashion designer and I am eager to learn more about the industry. By attending this course it has given me further experience in fashion design as well teaching me new techniques which I can incorporate into my A-Level studies, helping me to be one step ahead and excel in my classes. Furthermore, Central Saint Martins is a possible choice for where I wish to study a Fashion Design degree. Attending the course gave me a good opportunity to find out information about the college, prepare a strong portfolio and also to experience what the whole atmosphere is like for a student at CSM.

What did you enjoy most about your course?

I think for me the most enjoyable part of the course was using the facilities at Central Saint Martins; from the studio space to the library, the whole building just has a feeling of freedom and creative thinking. Having people around you who live and breathe design, like myself, it’s just a fantastic environment to be in, especially for creatives.

How has this course benefited your personal development?

The course has benefited me significantly as it has helped me in preparing my portfolio as well as get to know the college, but more importantly it has set me up with many new skills which I am able to use in my work and helps me stand out as a student. It has also taught me different ways in which I can approach design as well as getting inspiration for ideas. I look at the world differently now, for the better, and new ideas are constantly flowing through my brain.

What would you say to someone who is thinking about taking a short course at Central Saint Martins?

Do it! You’ll seriously regret not doing so otherwise, it’s as simple as that.

What do you believe is integral to the work of an artist, in any discipline?
  • Being open minded – question everything around you and ask why. Why does the pattern in a garment have to be like that? Why is the building that shape? Why can’t that material be used?
  • Originality – the more independent the ideas the more personal they are and you/others often connect more with them.
  • Re-invention – don’t feel pressured to create new ideas, question what’s around you.
  • Independence – I think it’s very important to spend time alone with your own thoughts and ideas.
  • Positive thinking – having the right mindset has a big impact on your work.
  • Integrity – have integrity, honesty, in everything you do.
What 3 words best describe your short course experience at CSM?

Knowledge, freedom and creation.

Keep up to date with Thomas on Instagram and Twitter. You can also book yourself onto the Christmas and/or Easter School, Fashion Design for 16 to 18 Year Olds course, right now. Discover all of our wonderful courses at CSM Short Courses including many more courses for teenagers!