Continuing with our CSM Summer School 2018 winner’s articles, today’s student story is with Film Maker, Ewan Taylor, who attended Wendy Chapple’s wonderful Silkscreen Printing course.
© Ewan Taylor, Silkscreen Printing

© Ewan Taylor, Silkscreen Printing

What is your name?

Ewan Taylor

What is your occupation?

I am a Film Maker.

© Ewan Taylor, Silkscreen Printing

© Ewan Taylor, Silkscreen Printing

What course did you study on and why did you choose it?

Silkscreen Printing. I chose it because I’ve always had an interest in printmaking and tried it when I was at art school many years ago. My job involves working with lots of other people and I wanted to do something creative that didn’t require a whole crew to make it happen.

© Ewan Taylor, Silkscreen Printing

© Ewan Taylor

What did you enjoy most about your course?

I enjoyed being challenged. It was much harder than I thought it was going to be. Over the course of the week I had to unshackle myself from my usual working mindset and embrace a more playful approach to the creative process. I went from trying to be precise to seeing what happened in the moment. It created some interesting results I would never have got to otherwise.

© Ewan Taylor, Silkscreen Printing

© Ewan Taylor, Silkscreen Printing

How has this course benefited your career and personal development?

It’s benefited my personal development greatly. I’ll continue to make prints and hopefully learn and develop more as an artist as a result. Maybe some of that creative/playful mindset will find its way into my film making career also.

© Ewan Taylor, Silkscreen Printing

© Ewan Taylor, Silkscreen Printing

What would you say to someone who is thinking about taking a short course at Central Saint Martins?

I’d say go for it. You’ll learn a lot and have fun doing it. The tutors were great and the facilities excellent. What a building to learn new trick in!

© Ewan Taylor, Silkscreen Printing

© Ewan Taylor

What do you believe is integral to the work of an artist, in any discipline?

A sense of play. Without play you never experiment, and without experimentation you never progress.

What 3 words best describe your short course experience at CSM?

Far too short.

© Ewan Taylor, Silkscreen Printing

© Ewan Taylor, Silkscreen Printing

Keep up to date with Ewan on Instagram and Twitter. You can also book yourself onto Silkscreen Printing right now with dates available in October and the new year; feeling inspired? Don’t miss out! Discover all of our wonderful courses at CSM Short Courses.