Today we share the wonderful work of pattern cutter and Central Saint Martins BA Fashion and short course tutor, Jill Entwistle. Jill has 20 years of experience in the fashion industry and began teaching at CSM eight years ago. She also freelance pattern cuts on a part-time or project by project basis. For the exhibition Jill is showing a custom made work in progress garment on a pattern cutting mannequin, emphasising the exhibition’s theme of process and form. Behind the mannequin sits a banner showing 360° views of the mannequin displayed in the show as well as one other. In the words of the show’s curator, Hugo Bou-Assaf, her atypical and experimental work “acts as a sculptural disturbance of the accepted geometry in garment design.”
Jill Entwistle's Central Saint Martins Short Courses exhibition display

Jill Entwistle’s Central Saint Martins Short Courses exhibition display

How did you come to work in your field/discipline?

I began by making clothes on my bedroom floor as a teen, my interests were fashion, art and music, growing up in Manchester at a time when music was so important to youth culture. I completed an Arts Foundation at Manchester Poly, then went on to take a degree in Fashion and Textiles at Birmingham Polytechnic. I then moved to London, where began my career working in the fashion industry assisting, and eventually designing and pattern making.

In that time I worked for various designers, Joe Casey-Hayford taught me about contemporary tailoring techniques and design for men and women, and construction, showing at London fashion week, and in Paris. I then worked for Ici La Fille, selling to Joseph, and again exhibiting in a Paris. I took on freelance pattern making and illustration, and then began working for Name designing their in store collections for wholesale and retail. After a few years of freelancing, I went full-time to work for Ghost where I learnt about their very unique process of cutting and making Ghost garments. They had catwalk shows in New York and London, and four collections a year, I became the Design Coordinator.

I went freelance again in 2007, and began teaching Pattern making at CSM in 2009 on the BA Fashion course. I’ve been teaching on short courses in pattern making also for the past seven years, whilst also freelance pattern making.

Detail. Photo © Sid Black

Detail. Photo © Sid Black

Where do you get your inspiration from and how do you stay inspired?

Working with students is a huge inspiration, as is helping them to realise their ideas in 3D. As a tutor it is the problem solving nature of pattern making which inspires me.

Detail. Photo © Sid Black

Detail. Photo © Sid Black

Tell us about the work you submitted, being featured in the Central Saint Martins Short Courses exhibition.

The works I submitted to the exhibition are toiles for two of the exercises on the Patternmaking – Experimental And Explorative Approaches Part 1 course. The calico bodice (displayed on the pattern cutting mannequin in the window) is based on an early 1950’s Dior illustration for a resort piece – made using a moulding technique. The second piece is taken from a Halston evening jacket using a draping and deconstructing technique.

Detail. Photo © Sid Black

Detail. Photo © Sid Black

What is the best bit of advice you have ever received?

As a student I was told “In fashion you are always learning. There are always new fabrics, ideas, techniques…”, even more so today, I learn all the time by helping my students.

Detail. Photo © Sid Black

Detail. Photo © Sid Black

What advice would you give to aspiring creatives?

To my students, be bold, listen to advice, but follow your instincts. Don’t be frightened to create your own process.

Detail. Photo © Sid Black

Detail. Photo © Sid Black

If you like what you see and are feeling inspired, there are places available to book now on Jill’s upcoming courses, Patternmaking – Experimental And Explorative Approaches Part 1 and Patternmaking – Experimental And Explorative Approaches Part 2. CSM’s Short Courses Autumn Term starts on 1 October 2018; view all upcoming Autumn Term courses now, don’t have time during the week? Try a single weekend course 🙂 see you soon!