We caught up with six students from our January Reportage Photography course to find out more about their experiences on the course and the work they produced over the course’s duration.

What is your name and where are you from?

Carine Bea, from Brazil.

What made you choose this course?

I wanted to get out of my comfort zone and elevate my photography to a more challenging level. Learn to tell story in a clearer and more confident way.

Could you summarise your project in 50 words?

So it is hard to believe that each day in the UK over 8 million people go hungry.

As a Brazilian coming to live and work in the UK I found this astonishing. In one of the richest countries in the world people still can go without food.

This project is the results of ten weeks attempting to understand this plight, in a nation I believed was rich and plentiful with enough for all.

Even after these 10 weeks, of trying to shine light on this situation, the lives and stories touched continue remain something of an enigma. Hidden from me and the general public, forgotten, like a shameful secret in a land of plenty. So I just choose a empty space photo to show this shame.

© Carine Bea

My name is Hussam Fakhry. Originally from Lebanon, I have lived and worked between Ghana and the UK for the past 25 years. I am now based more permanently in London and the owner and director of two companies.

What made you choose this course?

I wanted my pictures to tell a story, to have a personal point of view and aesthetic, to engage with fellow students, to discover new photographers and learn new techniques. The course exceeded my expectations.

“Revealed by the Tide” is a journey of self-discovery on the banks of the river Thames. A quest for beauty, inspiration and meaning in a grey and silty landscape.

© Husam Fakhry

Giulia Dini, I’m Italian but I’ve been living and working in London for two years.

What made you choose this course?

I wanted to learn how to tell stories through photographs and challenge myself with the creation of a photography project from A to Z.

This series focuses on the intimate spaces of checked out hotel rooms and the impressions left behind.

Temporary visitors, stacked room by room, floor by floor, behind doors and numbers. All strangers in a strange place. For a brief moment the spaces tell a story, before the cleaners vacuum through, change the sheets, wipe down the shower and fluff the pillows.

Giulia’s project was published in CNN, The Spaces, Trivago Brazil, and Straf Hotel Blog.

© Giulia Dini

Menka Sanghvi, from London.

What made you choose this course?

For me, photography is an invitation to slow down, look closer, and be curious. I run a mindfulness project supporting others to enjoy photography in this way too – it’s called Just Looking. I chose this course because I wanted to explore more deeply how we see stories, and make meaning, using photographs.

My project explores the quiet, curated life of a silent meditation retreat. No phone, no internet, no conversation. In this solitude, awareness makes friends with objects, colours, textures, shadows, each one whispering its story.

© Menka Sanghvi

My name is Adèle Humphreys, I am a London based mother, writer and photographer born and raised in Brussels, Belgium. My interest in cameras began as a child when a close family friend and photographer, Daniel Langendries, showed me his collection of beautiful old cameras. My first camera was a pink Kodak 110 film camera. I have shot on 35mm, Polaroid, DSLR, iPhone (3 to X series including Hipstamatic & Instagram) and more recently medium format and a Sony A7 mirrorless system.

What made you choose this course?

I chose Reportage Photography at CSM to reinvigorate my story craft with photography. I had always wanted to pursue arts at CSM and always enjoyed photography. As a mum to a tiny one in the middle of reinventing herself, the 10 week evenings course was ideal and my fiancé bought it for me as a Christmas present. It was the best present.

Mother & Child – The art of fucking up explores the definition of a ‘supermum’ in contrast to the reality where chaos is total. Inspired by my own emotional journey into motherhood and finding joy in an adventure that is personal, individual and undefinable. Using medium format film and a Holga 120N.

© Adèle Humphreys

Alex McCarter, from Toronto, Canada.

What made you choose this course?

I work in ethnography and design. I hope to bring more visual practices into what I do.

For my work ‘Things Fall Apart’ I constructed new high streets, buildings and interiors from the pieces of more than 20 former pubs or abandoned buildings in Stepney in East London. These constructions show the relationships between buildings and communities that when combined, are stronger together. The old buildings of Stepney now speak back.

© Alex McCarter

This 1 week intensive or 10 week evening course is open to students of all levels and suits photography enthusiasts, serious hobbyists, as well as bloggers, semi-professionals and young professionals wishing to improve their street photography skills. The next Reportage Photography course will take place in July 2018.

Feel inspired? Visit the Central Saint Martins Short Courses website for more information on all of our courses and book yours today!