Last week short courses returned to the wonderful Affordable Art Fair with more amazing workshops and talks; find out who was there in our “Affordable Art Fair – Hampstead” article. Kim Scouller, who teaches upon the English Plus Fine Art (Summer) course, ran two workshops on Friday 11th May, here Kim expands further on what visitors had the chance to learn and what she thinks about the AFF.
Kim Scouller / Workshop I: Making Your Mark

The Affordable Art Fair is a great opportunity to see so many different artworks under one roof. For some it’s a chance to buy work or start their art collection, for others it’s simply an opportunity to be inspired by different artists.

Affordable Art Fair, Creative Studio

Affordable Art Fair, Creative Studio

Workshop I: Making Your Mark

The idea behind this workshop was to help people really engage with drawing in a fun way.

Workshop I: Making Your Mark

Workshop I: Making Your Mark

We tried a few different techniques exploring what our drawing materials could do, experimenting with things like the way that we held the material, twisting and pulling it, and leaning lightly/heavily to see if it affected the marks that we made.

Workshop I: Making Your Mark

Workshop I: Making Your Mark

When we compared the many marks and textures we could create from just one material, it was quite surprising. For me the best bit was the seeing each participant’s journey, some, from disbelief and expressions of “I can’t do that”, to “Wow, I made that!”

Workshop I: Making Your Mark

Workshop I: Making Your Mark

Workshop II: Decadent Drawings 

This still life drawing workshop was inspired by Baroque, a period of art that is celebrated for it’s sensuous richness and dramatic use of colour.

Kim Scouller / Workshop II: Decadent Drawings 

We used vibrant chalk pastel colours on black paper to re-create a flavour of Baroque drama.

Workshop II: Decadent Drawings

Workshop II: Decadent Drawings

The idea was to initially use one pastel for a line drawing and then, to block in the shapes using expressive colour and to smudge and layer the pastels.

Workshop II: Decadent Drawings

Workshop II: Decadent Drawings

I was amazed and inspired by how bold and beautiful the drawings turned out. It really took people out of their colour comfort zones, perhaps encouraging them to not worry about the results so much and to enjoy the process of making.

Workshop II: Decadent Drawings

Workshop II: Decadent Drawings

I think the CSM workshops really help people to engage with making and understanding what goes into creating an artwork. So even if in a small way, it creates an awareness and greater appreciation of the work seen at the fair.

Workshop II: Decadent Drawings

Workshop II: Decadent Drawings

Also, having dipped their toe in creating something themselves, visitors have the opportunity to continue their interest in art by suddenly finding out about and hopefully studying on one of the amazing short courses at CSM.

If you would like to see more of Kim Scouller’s work you can visit her website, www.kimscouller.com, you can also follow Kim on Facebook (@kimscoullerart), Twitter (@kimscoullerart) and via Instagram (@_kimbo_s_)Feeling inspired? Why not #trysomethingnew and select a short course for yourself! To view all of our short courses and to book a place simply visit the Central Saint Martins short courses website.