Last year Fashion Design FAAP student, Christopher Tanelli, won the amazing FAAP Moda competition. Winning a place upon one of Central Saint Martin’s incredible Summer School courses, we spoke to Christopher about what the competition was like and what studying in London holds for the future 🙂

At first I really didn’t have the expectation to make it to the competition at all. It’s a really competitive event between students at FAAP, and with me being so young and early in the Fashion Design course, I thought that my chances were the lowest.

©Christopher Tanelli

©Christopher Tanelli

After being selected I had to start testing and draping each look until it looked the most like my sketches, so it could be developed in the right fabric and realised in the 3D printed pieces planned for each look. We also had casting meetings for models and a beauty meeting for the conceptualization of the make-up look, to be worn by the models.

©Christopher Tanelli

©Christopher Tanelli

Usually the six chosen students entered into the competition are about to conclude their BA, or are in the process of starting research for their thesis. When the ranking was published it really was a shock! I’ve always been the kind of student with self-doubt about my work, and some teachers showed uncertainty about my collection the day before deadline to the submission date, so it was so much more rewarding and a real honour just to be a part of the six to showcase their collections.

©Christopher Tanelli

©Christopher Tanelli

Looking ahead, it has always been a dream of mine to study in London and at Central Saint Martins, ever since I decided to go down the fashion path when I was around sixteen. It really is an honour to be receiving this opportunity! I expect to spend most my time studying and working on the projects after classes, for the best experience I can get.

©Christopher Tanelli

©Christopher Tanelli

On picking a course, at the moment I’m deciding between Pattermaking – Experimental and Explorative Approaches Part 1 and Draping Womenswear Design. The construction of a garment is one of my biggest interests in the fashion design, so that’s why I’m presently caught between the two courses.

©Christopher Tanelli

©Christopher Tanelli

We look forward to seeing Christopher this Summer School and catching up later in the year! If you’re feeling inspired, you can check out all our upcoming courses right now! See you soon 😀