Previously we interviewed Viktorija Hazane about her time upon our Ceramics for Beginners course, which you can read here: “A closer look at Ceramics for Beginners”. As we were so impressed by Viktorija’s work we caught up with her again to discuss the work she made and processes involved.
© Viktorija Hazane, Ceramics for Beginners work

When deciding which short course to take I didn’t have an exact plan of what I wanted to do because I didn’t know what I would personally be able to make. I knew that I wanted to try something practical, something that I could put into everyday use. I am very house proud and I love having things around me that have stories or that I have made myself. I recently moved house which made me realise that there were many practical everyday items that I needed which I hoped I could make on the Ceramics for Beginners course. I am very happy with the amount of ceramics I managed to produce, with most of them already put into good use as planters, plates, a soap dish and tiles as coasters.

My pineapple planters were made using a slip casting process. First we covered how to make a mould from an object of our choice, in my case it happened to be a pineapple. The colouring process was experimental, but I was hoping to achieve a somewhat natural look. I used iron oxide which brought out the details of the texture, red slip with a clear glaze for the lighter pot and green slip with a tinted brown spray glaze for the darker one.

Both of my plates were made by using a slip casting technique and a mould that was already available for students to use. I used porcelain for the blue plate and the speckle effect was achieved by flicking a paint brush dipped in cobalt under glaze and applying a clear glaze afterwards. I used a regular slip for my other plate and the black speckles were applied by flicking a paint brush dipped in iron oxide on top of the glaze.

The soap dish was a fun and quick project that I made in the midst of casting my other objects. The base was pinched out of white clay and the legs attached a bit later. I then applied some cobalt and later some light yellow under glaze dots. I love using my soap dish and it fits my sink perfectly.

In just five sessions the whole class produced a lot of work using different techniques and we even got to try a little bit of throwing. We experimented with slips, underglazes, oxides and glazes.  I am definitely excited about working with clay again in the future!

There are currently spaces available to book on our next Ceramics for Beginners course starting in July! If you’re simply feeling inspired and would like to see what other CSM Short Courses are on offer, click here.