Our popular five day Millinery Workshop is held at our King’s Cross location in the fashion studios. Central Saint Martins provides a huge range of wooden blocks for students to choose from and materials to get them started on making their own hats. A variety of techniques and materials are covered, including making a hat from felt and sinamay.

We had a chat with some students on the popular Millinery Workshop to get a better idea of who takes this course, why they take it and, most important, what they made while they were on it! The diversity in the students and their hats, says it all.

Millinery Workshop ⓒShauna Scott

Millinery Workshop ⓒShauna Scott

Rebekah Mackay Miller

I’m from the UK and up until very recently I ran the UK arm of a marketing agency focused on Word of Mouth and Influence. However, since being made redundant at the end of last year I’ve decided to take a few months to focus on millinery, which has always been a passion and hobby of mine, with the goal of turning my passion into a business.

Why did you choose this course?

I chose this particular short course for a number of reasons; firstly, I’ve previously done a couple of one and two day courses with Judy Bentinck (our tutor) in the past and really valued her approach to teaching and generosity of knowledge – each time I’ve come away feeling not just inspired, but with the skills and practical experience to keep learning.

Secondly, the course content really appealed to me. As a largely self taught milliner, I wanted to refine my skills and be shown the ‘proper’, couture way to do things. I also really liked that, for my weekend course, the 5 days were spread over a number of weeks, as it meant I was able to take work home to finish in-between course days, ensuring I got the absolute most out of the time with Judy.

Millinery Workshop student work ⓒRebekah Mackay Miller

What did you enjoy most about your course?

Everything! Judy is a really inspiring and extremely experienced tutor and was very generous with sharing her vast knowledge with us. On a practical note, I loved that the course was so hands on, and that we were able to start creating from day one (unlike other courses which seem to focus more on the conceptual and creative process). This meant I walked away with huge amounts of practical know how, such as how to solve challenges that will inevitably arise (for example I made a head fitting that was too small) which will be invaluable going forward.

Has this course benefitted your career and personal development?

Absolutely, one of the things I’d hoped to gain was confidence in and validation of my own skills – which Judy definitely provided. I also wanted to be able to work on projects at home in tandem to the course, to ensure I’d really learned and understood the techniques Judy taught us, which I was able to do. I still have a lot to learn (do you ever stop learning?!) but am now clear on my next steps and have the confidence to take them.

What would you say to someone who is thinking about taking a short course at Central Saint Martins?

Go for it! I can only speak for the Millinery course, but for me it delivered above and beyond my expectations on every level.

What 3 words best describe your short course experience at CSM?

Inspiring, educational, fun!

You can see more of Rebekah’s work on her Instagram page.

Steph Legg

l was very keen to take a millinery course with Judy, despite having little to no experience of any sewing at all. It was really encouraging to be able to work at my own pace and to have use of the extensive hat block selection. I would recommend the course to others as a way of delving into your own creativity. I’m keen to make many more hats and explore the professional side of millinery.

Millinery Workshop student, Steph ⓒ Steph Legg

As you can see Steph’s hats fit the 40s style that you will also find in her music! Check out more about Steph on her website and read more about her band, Miss Rosie and the Moonshyne Runners on Facebook and Instagram. They’re a 1940s style swing band with upcoming gigs at Toulouse Lautrec Kennington, Map Studio Cafe and Norden Farm.

Millinery Workshop student work ⓒ Steph Legg

Emel Melike Bakıcı
I am a freelance fashion designer, from Istanbul and am currently based in London, where I am running my own business.
Millinery Workshop student work ⓒEmel Melike Bakıcı

Why did you choose the Millinery Workshop?
I design womenswear collections and accessories and think that preparing the headpieces is also essential part for the whole look. I am always looking for more in-depth into specific areas of accessories design. At the moment, I am working on a print project for my personal brand and have a future plan to harmonise my collection with headpieces.

The best part was seeing how the class is learning to make hats so quick and very professionally. I am very impressed. We were very lucky to have this studio experience with Judy.

I advise them to try something new, which they have never tried before and I am sure they will build their confidence on their short course.

Practical, professional and tactile

If you want to see more of Emel’s work, you can find her on Instagram and view her website
Shauna Scott

I am the Marketing Manager for short courses at Central Saint Martins.

Millinery Workshop student work ⓒShauna Scott

Why did you choose this course?

I chose this course because I was keen to learn a new skill and make something over a couple of weekends. I also love wearing hats, which helped me make the decision to start making my own!

I really enjoyed learning different techniques, working with different materials and combining them to create my own bespoke hats.

Absolutely! Get involved, meet new people and learn some new skills in the studios.

This millinery course is open to students of all levels, from beginner to intermediate. Students will finish the course with at least two hats made during the workshops. The course is suitable for those interested in a new hobby, keen to extend their skills, and even those planning a future career in millinery.
We are now accepting bookings for the next Millinery Workshop courses taking place during our Summer School. Central Saint Martins Summer School will take place over 12 weeks, from 25 June – 14 September 2018.  We also run a full schedule of short courses during evenings, weekends, online, and Saturdays throughout the year.