Looking to improve her fashion illustration skills, Plymouth College of Art student Sue Gorman attended Maggie Doyle’s Central Saint Martins short course, Improve your Fashion Drawing, with a mission! We talked to Sue to find out her reasons behind taking the course, how it has helped her develop and what she feels about her time at CSM.
Sue Gorman

Sue Gorman

What is your name and where are you from?

Sue Gorman, I live in Slapton (a tiny but historic village by the sea in South Devon) but I’m originally from South London.

What is your occupation?

Up until March 2016, I was a freelance Marketing Consultant (most latterly, interim Head of Marketing at the LEGOLAND Windsor Resort), then life gave me the opportunity to study Fashion Design at Plymouth College of Art as a way of changing career. I start my second year in October this year and hopefully will go on to specialise in the plus size market.

© Sue Gorman, Improve your Fashion Drawing work

What course did you study and why did you choose it?

I studied Improve your Fashion Drawing at CSM with tutor, Maggie Doyle, specifically to do just that. My first year at PCA was all about mastering contextual thinking, pattern cutting and garment make-up but I struggled to create an individual style when it came to fashion illustration. It’s incredibly frustrating when your head is full of ideas but you can’t find the right medium to show them despite constant experimentation. My PCA tutors suggested I do courses over the summer period so I went to the best – Central Saint Martins.

What did you enjoy most about your course?

Clear standout was tutor, Maggie Doyle. If she hadn’t suggested using ProMarkers on day one, I’m pretty sure that I wouldn’t be featured in this blog and I’d still be struggling with collage. Maggie has a huge amount of fashion experience and it shows, not only through her tuition but also through the inspiring course content which ranged from visiting a trend forecasting agency through to looking at original fashion illustrations in the Sackler Wing, at the V&A Museum. It’s a goosebumps moment when you pick up an original Dior illustration and wonder how so few lines can signify so much.

How has this course benefited your career or personal development?

Without doubt, it’s enabled me to show my ideas in a contemporary way. It’s also re-inspired me at a point when I thought my illustrations were always going to be a weak spot.

What would you say to someone who is thinking about taking the same short course at Central Saint Martins?

Only do it if you’re absolutely passionate about fashion, can appreciate the quality of the tuition and fully understand that you’re in a place that’s inspired some of the greatest fashion designers’ of our generation. It also helps if you’re already in the fashion industry either as a student or professional as you’ll get best value from the course.

What do you believe is integral to the work of an artist, in any discipline?

A real sense of self, curiosity and a never ending desire to improve.

What 3 words best describe your short course experience at CSM?

They’ve doubtless been said before but… inspiring, rewarding, surprising.

Feel inspired? Visit the Central Saint Martins Short Courses website for more information on all of our courses and book yours today! AND expand your creative social media feed by following Sue on Instagram, @suegorman888.
Improve your Fashion Drawing

Improve your Fashion Drawing

Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponPin on Pinterest