As a part of our Central Saint Martins Short course exhibition series, we interviewed Vincent Woodcock about his work in the exhibition, where he finds inspiration and his advice for aspiring creatives.

The exhibition is open to the public in the Central Saint Martins Window Gallery at 1 Granary Square until 3 September. Visitors can expect to view some extraordinary work, including ceramics, jewellery, haute couture embroidery, fashion drawing, photography and illustration.

© Vincent Woodcock, Self-Portrait

What is your name and what short courses do you teach?

Vincent Woodcock, and I teach Character Design For Animation, Cartooning Fundamentals, Illustrating Comics and Graphic Novels, and Life Drawing For Animation Illustration and Cartooning.

How and why did you become an artist?

I’ve worked as an animator, animation director, cartoonist, character designer and illustrator for over 30 years.

I learned animation from Richard Williams and Art Babbitt and have animated and directed for Disney, Warner Bros., and Cartoon Network amongst others. Passing on the skills and knowledge that I’ve acquired in my career is very rewarding.

Where do you get your inspiration from and how do you stay inspired?

I’m inspired by the drawings of artists I admire, living and dead, famous and obscure. There are an infinite amount of possible ways to make marks on paper, so I try never to repeat myself, always striving to make the next drawing a little better than the one before.

© Vincent Woodcock, Lightnin’ Hopkins

What are you working on at the moment?

I’m making a series of drawings of blues musicians and continuing my comic-strips Badgers Of Fury and Kit & Marlowe.

Tell us about your work in the Central Saint Martins Short Courses exhibition.

These drawings of mine are a typical selection of my work, which is varied. Some would say schizophrenic!

© Vincent Woodcock, Lead Belly

Which piece of creative work, in any discipline, do you think everyone should see and why?

I don’t. I would never presume to tell anyone what they should see. Everyone should find something they love for themselves and then let that work of art live inside them.

© Vincent Woodcock, Kit

© Vincent Woodcock, The Old West Series

What’s the best bit of advice you have ever received?

Richard Williams once pinned a piece of paper over my animation desk with “K.I.S.S” written on it. It took me a while to work out what it stood for.

What advice would you give to aspiring creatives?

Don’t aim for perfection.

More of Vincent’s work can be viewed on his Facebook and Instagram pages.

Vincent Woodcock teaches a range of short courses at Central Saint Martins, including Character Design For Animation, Cartooning Fundamentals, Illustrating Comics and Graphic Novels, and Life Drawing For Animation Illustration and Cartooning.  Further details on all of our courses can be found on the Short Course website.  The CSM Short Courses exhibition takes place in the Window Gallery at Central Saint Martins until 3 September 2017. To see what goes on in the CSM Short Courses classroom, follow @csmshortcourses and #MYCSM

Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponPin on Pinterest