Bryan Flores is a CSM staff member that was so inspired by the energy and creativity of this year’s (UAL) graduates he decided to attend as a student. Joining this year’s Summer Study Abroad – Fashion Design Menswear course, Bryan tells us of his experience and how the course has impacted his current practice.

Bryan Flores.

What is your name?

Bryan Flores

Where do you live?

I live right here in London.

What is your occupation?

I work in the Learning Zone at CSM. It offers a space for students to continue working and carry out research on our computers, there is also some equipment that we loan out for use in the space like laptops, scanners, drawing tablets and light tables.

All the staff here have specific software knowledge as most of us maintain our own creative practice as well. I specialise in Illustrator and Photoshop, as well as any video editing software queries students may have.

What course did you take?

Summer Study Abroad – Fashion Design Menswear

Why did you choose the course you studied?

I used to work in fashion so I already had a strong interest in menswear but it was also the energy and creativity of this year’s graduates that inspired me to do the course, plus CSM is a world respected fashion school!

Bryan Flores’s Summer Study Abroad – Fashion Design Menswear work on model.

What’s integral to the work of an artist?

Persistence and vision – I think it’s important to have an idea of where you want to end up with a piece because it helps you remain focused as you refine and edit your ideas.

What 3 words describe your short course experience at Central Saint Martins?

Challenging. Fulfilling. Fun.

Summer Study Abroad Party 2017, student work fashion show.

What did you enjoy most about your course?

The tutors were really good at taking what knowledge I and my peers already had and helping push it further. Also those late nights finishing the garments were a cool bonding experience for all of us. We had a small show on the last day so everyone from the other courses got to see what everybody else had been working on which was nice.

Summer Study Abroad Party 2017 poster, by MªEugenia González de Quevedo Marín.

How has this course benefitted your career or personal development?

It has reinforced the importance of research in my practice and helped me learn to look at creative problems from different angles.

What would you say to someone who is thinking about taking this course (or another short course at CSM)?

Do it, you most definitely won’t regret it. Come ready to work hard.

Places are now available for all 2018 Summer Study Abroad courses! Visit the Central Saint Martins Short Courses website for further information on all of our courses.

Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponPin on Pinterest