For each individual’s personal path a course can offer more than inspiration, allowing for practicing professionals to enhance their skills and indulge in their passions. We spoke to Fashion Designer Cecilia Lourdes González about her journey to, and experience upon, the Fashion and Textile Forecasting short course at Central Saint Martins.

What is your name and where do you come from?

Cecilia Lourdes González. I live in Montevideo, Uruguay.

What is your occupation?

I’m a Fashion Designer, currently working in the international trading business, specifically on undergarments.

Why did you choose the course you studied?

I discovered the course (Fashion and Textile Forecasting) on this blog, through an interview. I was looking for courses filtering by month so I hadn’t seen this one, but when I saw the student’s description it immediately got me.

I got to CSM through winning a fashion competition prize held in my country, called Lumina 8. We had to develop a 10 piece collection and finalise it by showcasing the collection on the runway. It was a great experience where you get to express your personal view on fashion and also because the winners have a chance to earn a place on courses they otherwise wouldn’t probably take, mainly for money and distance issues.

Cecilia Lourdes González winning Lumina 8 competition

What’s integral to the work of an artist?

I actually have an education in fashion and design, not as an art form but as a service, a way of solving problems. But that’s also what I liked about my experience at CSM, getting a fresh view.

There’s a creative flair that you can breathe through the halls. You see it in the students, you can see it on the student’s ad wall, and you even see it in the materials shop or the cafeteria.

What 3 words describe your short course experience at Central Saint Martins?

Diversity. Mind-widening. Surprise.

What did you enjoy most about your course?

So many things!

Certainly that all my classmates had such different backgrounds really enriched our experience. You can see how fashion is perceived through the different continents and at different ages.

How has this course benefitted your career or personal development?

Personally, it gave me a new drive to keep studying. Having graduated a while ago, taking this short course at CSM made me actually want to go back to study, particularly the subject of Trends which the course was about.

Being only a week long, there is so much more to investigate and read about, so I take it as a kick-starter for more to come!

Cecilia Lourdes González -Fashion and Trend Forecasting CSM Short Courses

What would you say to someone who is thinking about taking this course or another short course at CSM?

I would tell them not to think it twice.  I don’t think it actually matters if you’re still a student or if maybe, you’re not really working in fashion, there’s something of value you can take out of a course like this for sure.

The next Fashion and Textile Forecasting course will be running in both July and August. Visit the Central Saint Martins Short Courses website for more information on all of our courses.
Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponPin on Pinterest