LCF Special Collections book on Black History Month and Nigerian fashion.

LCF Special Collections book on Black History Month and Nigerian fashion. Image credit: Justyna Burzynska.

What is the theme of the display?

The theme of the display is inspired around Black History Month.

Tell us more about your curatorial process

When I was given the go ahead to curate the library display for Black History Month, I was very excited! I thought of themes within black history that I was interested in such as black fashion designers, black artists in the punk movement and African tribal inspired fashion. I decided to go down the route of African tribal inspired fashion and was recommended that head adornment specifically Nigerian head scarfs could be a good route to go down. Things started to fall into place whilst putting the items into the display. An LCF student – Mariam Temitope Tijani – and I started up a conversation about the items in the display. I asked her if she had ever tied a Gele (a traditional Nigerian head scarf) and she said she did them all the time.

Gele a traditional Nigerian headscarf made by LCF student Mariam Temitope Tijani

Gele, a traditional Nigerian headscarf made by LCF student Mariam Temitope Tijani. Image credit: Justyna Burzynska.

What is your favourite item in the display?

The head scarf is one of my favourite items because of the story above and I LOVE the zines from Special Collections, in particular the “Good Hair” one. It is very simple but very effective.

What is it like working with LCF Special Collection items?

I love the Special Collections at LCF Library especially the zines. Zine are great because they are one of a kind and for the most part self-published. I love how simple and creative zines are, they’re like a guerrilla form of publishing almost like a paper blog.

What one piece of advice would you give UAL students about curating an LCF Special Collections display?

Choose a subject that you are interested in and the research will take care of itself. Have fun!

By Natalie Keymist (Evening Library Assistant, LCF Library) and Mariam Temitope Tijani (MA Fashion Entrepreneurship and Innovation)

Instagram: