London College of Fashion Special Collections has an ever expanding fashion zine collection that encompasses gender, body politics, sociology of clothes, hair & makeup, queer theory and more. This month we have our third installment of Zinesters in LCF Special Collections, featuring Doctor Popular, whose zine Hair Model can be found in our collection.

Name and location..
My name is Doctor Popular and I live in San Francisco, California.

How long have you been making zines for?
I’ve been making zines and comics since I was 15, and I’m 39 now. My first zine was a humor and art zine called Moebius Strip Tease. I still make 1 or 2 comics a year and publish my own collection of black and white street photography called American Analog.

What do you like to create zines about?
Most of my comic books are autobiographical. They are funny and produced real raw and quickly, often times using low tech tools like cheap watercolors and BIC pens.

What is your favourite zine/comic/book?
I love all of the photo zines by Hamburger Eyes, they were a huge inspiration for my own photo books. As far as comics go, I love collecting mini-comics from Kevin Cannon and Lucy Knisley.

Tell us a bit more about your creative process..
I’m addicted to making things, but my mind wanders quickly, so whenever I start working on a project I try to move quickly and keep that momentum going. I’ve found that I work best when I define schedules and guidelines for myself, so I try to spend an hour every single day working on my current project. This helps me stay in the groove and be able to turn on creativity and productivity on a regular basis.

What does it feel like to have your zine/s in the London College of Fashion Library’s Special Collections?
My comic book is all about that time I accidentally started a global hair trend, so it seems fitting to have it in the London College of Fashion’s library. đŸ™‚

What influenced Hair Model?
Hair Model is a book I made as part of the 24 Hour Comic Book Day Challenge. The goal was to create a 24 page book in 24 consecutive hours without any writing in advance, which was easy since I ended up just telling the true story of that time I was hired to model the “fauxhawk” for a large group of hair stylists at a styling convention in Minneapolis (back in 1996). I stayed up and worked on this comic book at Mission Comics in San Francisco, trying to finish each page in under an hour.

What one piece of advice would you give UAL students about zine making?
It’s all about getting it done. It doesn’t matter how much polish you put on it, if you can’t get it out there, so always be willing to cut some corners in the beginning and not lose momentum. For first time zine and comics people, start small. Focus on creating a 6 page book and taking it to the printer before you start working on your masterpiece.

EPSON MFP image

EPSON MFP image

EPSON MFP image

www.DocPop.org